gScreen's Dual-Screen SpaceBook Touches Down on Earth

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 29 2011 4:35 PM
Once you add a second monitor to your desktop PC, you'll wonder how you ever managed with but a single display up to that point. And just try using a notebook after you've grown accustomed to rocking a pair (or more) of big screen monitors. It's not easy, and it's also one of the reasons why we're so intrigued with gScreen's new SpaceBook.

The SpaceBook is a 17-inch dual-screen laptop with two full size 17-inch displays, each one supporting Full HD (1920x1080) visuals. Did you catch that? This thing has TWO 17-inch displays! There's a trade-off in portability with the SpaceBook checking in at 10 pounds, which is 30 percent more than your average 17-inch laptop. It also costs more than most traditional 17-inch laptops, though neither of these tradeoffs are obscene.

If you reserve yours now, the price for the Core i5 model is $1,899, which includes:
  • Two 17-inch displays
  • Intel Core i5 560 processor (2.66GHz)
  • 4GB DDR3-1333 memory
  • 500GB 7200RPM hard drive
  • Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 graphics
  • DVD burner
  • Windows 7 Home
There are higher end models to choose from, including one that's available for $2,099 on preorder. It comes with:
  • Two 17-inch displays
  • Intel Core i7 740 processor (1.73GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3-1333
  • 500GB 7200RPM hard drive
  • Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 graphics
  • DVD burner
  • Windows 7 Professional
The relatively weak graphics means the SpaceBook isn't going to take your dual-screen gaming endeavors to new heights, but for multi-taskers who can't live without multiple monitors, there's plenty of power here for day-to-day computing.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Those are really pathetic specs, I read about this a while ago, they could have easily stepped up their game and offer a more up to date component lineup even for a little more premium. Todays consumer is more smarter and price conscious. I dont think there is a necessity, even for its target audience or consumer , to buy such an under equipped laptop for that type of asking price."

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:34 AM

Why have HD Video capability and multiple monitors without an adequate graphics chip to power it?

Seems kind of pointless.

17in laptops usually have the best components and fit into the desktop replacement category because of the larger space for more powerful components, so how can you not fit a decent graphics chip into a laptop case built to accomodate not one, but TWO 17 inch scrrens?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS