Leaked Image Of HTC Omega Surfaces

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2011 2:43 PM

Thanks to a leaked image, we're learning more about an upcoming Windows Phone 7 Mango smartphone known as the HTC Omega. Based on the picture, the Omega will be a white and silver handset. It appears to have an aluminum construction.

Omega is likely a codename. Reports suggest the phone could be known as the HTC Radar when it ships with a carrier. The smartphone is expected to have a 3.8-inch SLCD display, 1.5GHz single-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 512MB of RAM, DLNA compatibility, and micro-HDMI output. The phone is also expected to feature an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash and a front-facing camera.

HTC has a press event scheduled for September 1. We're expecting the Omega as well as a few other devices such as the rumored HTC Eternity (also a Mango handset) to be formally announced at this event. The Eternity is expected to be a higher-end model with a larger 4.7-inch AMOLED display.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Why do all of the windows phones come with lower specs??? single core processors, half the ram, lower quality displays........I am digging the silver and white though.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,629
Points 55,225
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 3:03 PM

That appears to be a MIcrosoft reference design limitation perhaps. They've all be Qualcomm Snapdragon platform phones, if I'm not mistaken.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

So it's a Microsoft thing? Thanks for the clarification. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mango widen those restrictions? And include new features like the gyro....

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:52 AM

Dave's probably right. Also HTC has no interest in spending any time trying to get Microsoft buy-in on improving the specs, since HTC's making money hand over fist on their Android phones - which aren't subject to these MS-imposed limitations. Oddly, MS is making more money off HTC's Android phones than they are the Windows phones (MS sued them and gets $5 a unit).

These Win-phones will all be dead end platforms next year when Win8 comes out anyway. MS gave Google such a hard time about having multiple platforms that you can't tell me there's any doubt that they'll kill off WinMo7 the second they have Win8 running decently on ARM. Yes, I know they're saying the exact opposite now - but I also know they're lying through their teeth. The only question in my mind is if they're going to make it a SilverLight platform or if they're going to break the news to developers that none of their existing apps are going to run.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 6:43 PM

I was waiting to upgrade my 6.5 to mango and I was waiting to see the specs - now I am disappointed. I was hoping to see the best hardware on these phones but seriously, wtf....

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS