Dish Network Looks To Build Its Own LTE Network

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,099
Points 1,183,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2011 4:45 PM
The 4G party is raging, and everybody wants to come, invited or not. Satellite TV provider Dish Network is the latest player to crash the party by asking for an FCC permit to build its own LTE network.

The company is sitting on some spectrum licensing after its acquisition of bankrupt satellite phone service provider TerreStar Networks earlier this summer and wants to be able to use it in its quest to create a 4G LTE network.

A mobile broadband network would of course allow Dish to offer all manner of services, including high-speed Internet to mobile devices, VoIP, streaming video, and more. Specifically, the proposed network could do a lot for the company’s online video portal, www.dishonline.com.

Competition is always a good thing, so we wish Dish the best of luck as they compete with the existing industry juggernauts in the 4G space. They’ll need it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 8:00 PM

This really is one of the issues I wish more American's understood. In almost any other developed country in the world you have your choice of providers for entertainment, telephone, cellular, and broadband. Our availability in the US is starved though in all reality. Yes we have the services available, but it is the fact that the number of carriers is so very small compared that gets me. So I am glad to see another big name stepping in here especially if At&t get's there wishes and eats T-Mobile which they do not even need for the bandwidth or the frequencies, they are just taking them over to get rid of them.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS