Sapphire Encourages Overclocking with New Pure Platinum Z68 Motherboard

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,361
Points 1,191,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011 1:47 PM
In the days of yore, overclocking was a complicated process that sometimes involved dip switches, lead pencils, pricey components, fairy dust, the right incantation, and a little bit of luck. It's considerably easier these days to push your processor well past its rated frequency, a point that's underscored by the tools Sapphire provides with its new Pure Platinum Z68 motherboard.

As the name gives away, Sapphire's latest slice of silicon is built around Intel's Z68 chipset for second generation Sandy Bridge processors. It sports four DDR3 memory slots with support for up 16GB of DDR3-1600+ (and up 32GB "when suitable modules become available"), three PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots with CrossFire support, three of those old school 32-bit PCI slots (anyone still using those?), four SATA 6Gbps ports, four SATA 3Gbps ports, RAID 0/1/5/10 support, 8-channel onboard audio, four USB 2.0 ports (rear I/O) and four USB 2.0 headers (internal I/O), two USB 3.0 ports (rear I/O), and some other odds and ends.

Of interest to overclockers, Sapphire equipped its Pure Platinum Z68 motherboard with a Dual BIOS for "experimentation and updates." You'll also find voltage test pads on the edge of the board for precise measurement of CPU and memory circuit voltages, as well onboard buttons for clearing the CMOS and restarting/powering the board. There's also a digital debug display.

Finally, Sapphire bundles in its proprietary Mainboard TriXX software for Windows-based overclocking in case you're not comfortable playing around in the BIOS.

No word on price or availability.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I don't see any "Beefy" heat sinks, I find this odd.

It looks like a vanilla board.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

"Finally, Sapphire bundles in its proprietary Mainboard TriXX software for Windows-based overclocking in case you're not comfortable playing around in the BIOS."

Personally if you are not comfortable playing around in the BIOS you probably should not be overclocking your machine...

I agree ThunderBird no huge heatsinks is a nice thing making it easier to fit high end equipment onto the board but it is odd to see considering all the other boards I have seen pictures of lately.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 8:48 AM

Looks like the heat-sink on top of the Z69 chip set should be fine and Sapphire uses the upper end Diamond black chokes and high quality capacitors just like the high end GPUs they make.Plenty of room around the socket which is nice .Lot;s of breathing room and some postie air flow should keep this mobo cool.Lot's of features for the overclocker and would be interesting to see what Sapphire did with the TriXX software as compared to Asus EFI which is very nicely done.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 6:34 PM

ThunderBird:
I don't see any "Beefy" heat sinks, I find this odd.

Look At this view. It sticks up a little, but it's not as bad as others that I've seen.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Eldonko replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 5:55 PM

Doesnt look like anything special to me, pretty much all SB boards have an auto oc feature these days. Price better be good because competition is stiff.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS