PNY Pushes Liquid Cooled Graphics Cards to the Masses

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,385
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 16 2011 1:22 PM
PNY today announced it's new all-in-one Liquid Coold Graphics series. Kicking off the new series are a pair of XLR8 GeForce GTX 580 videocards, both of which sport an integrated liquid cooling solution from Asetek that's stupid-simple to install in your case. What separates the two cards is that one of them comes with an additional CPU block.

"Designed to increase performance while reducing noise and temperature, PNY’s Liquid Cooled Graphics offers the fastest factory-overclocked card currently on the market at 857 MHz," said Nicholas Mauro, senior marketing manager, PC components for PNY. "The simple all-in-one design offers a powerful, yet easy to install and cost-effective gaming solution that’s backed by the PNY warranty. This highly anticipated graphics option will enable more enthusiast gamers to experience gaming in a whole new way."

According to PNY, these liquid cooled cards run up to 30 percent cooler, 30 percent quieter, and 10 percent faster than air cooled cards built around Nvidia's reference design. That's a mighty combination, but it doesn't come cheap. The XLR* Liquid Cooled GTX 580 carries and MSRP of $580, while the XLR* Liquid Cooled GTX 580 with CPU Cooling costs $650.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

It's about time!!! This is an awesome idea and I'm glad PNY got it to market. Definitely a solid product but way out of my budget. Should we expect a review of this bad boy???

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

Drake_McNasty:

It's about time!!! This is an awesome idea and I'm glad PNY got it to market. Definitely a solid product but way out of my budget. Should we expect a review of this bad boy???

"Yeah, I like PNY solution that also includes a cooler for the CPU, thats awesome. And hey, Look at Zotac's GTX 580 Infinity Edition, theirs is cool too."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 3:31 PM

Hum, a 2in1 sounds pretty cool but what if u want to upgrade ur card in the future? You would upgrade them more then the cpu so wouldn't split ones be better for the long run?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

These all in one water coolers are ok for 1st timers but it makes a mess of a clean case having an all in one for the CPU now the GPU.

Tubes and radiators everywhere.

Whatever works I guess.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 8:21 PM

Well one thing for sure about the 'experience of gaming a whole new way' would be the quiet . oh yes. ! definitely for sure !

Lot's of us seemed to be getting in the Asetek GPU cooling 'buzz' when we first heard about it in here . Just takes a bit of evaluation about 5 seconds if the chassis is going to work with  this PNY Asetek solution  It .should be very effective and quiet.

the other evaluation may take even less time ..the $580  & $650 price tags Could  expect others to follow  and the competition for the aficionados cash would help all of us.

Maybe some manufactures will begin to offer either a dual fan heatsink or an Asetek solution option with the upper mid-range cards.?

Now that would be pretty sweet ! Smile

pretty HOT HH stuff ..Yesyet quiet 'n cool at the same time

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 530
BMAN replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 3:49 AM

In recent months both EVGA and Powercolor released their own versions of "liquid -cooled" videocards

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/techzone.asp?id=48

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-1599-AR&family=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family&sw=

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1589-AR&family=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family&sw=

Although you'll need to have all the other water-cooling components to make these babies work; they both promise to deliver better overclock-abilities and much better cooling , on their high-end cards

system specs

Intel i5 3570***, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX850, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Corsair Force 3 Series GT  SSD (120GB), WD VelociRaptor (300GB), water-cooled HIS Radeon HD7950, AZZA Genesis 9000, EKWB Supremacy CQ CPU block, XSPC RX360, EKWB-DCP 4.0 pump, Windows 7 H.P. - 64 bit

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 8:28 AM

I like the + CPU one. I don't know though I think I would just go full custom if that's what I was trying to accomplish for better performance all around. Of course I would also have the ability to add onto a set up like that in the future. Of course as mentioned in one statement regarding upgrading the GPU I guess you would have to make sure you got one that was water capable with the same diameter grommets. That would be just like upgrading a standard card except you would have to do it all out of system just like you would have to do with any liquid cooled system anyway. I am just thinking a larger radiator would work much better with greater capabilities on a multi point liquid cooling solution.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,430
Points 102,120
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:26 AM

I like the looks of the Zotac card more than the PNY.

Looking at it, the PNY Card is still THICK, and it's gonna take up two whole slots in your case, and it still has the stock Air Cooling on it!  That could ensure that the card is just as loud as one without water cooling, and I wonder, why is a stock air Fan/Cooler even necessary with a water block on the card's GPU?

The Zotac is much thinner, but it's still a Zotac, and I've quit buying that brand due to past negative experiences. This is my own personal choice ~ others may like them just fine.

I expect that in time, all of the major video card makers will offer their product in water cooled flavors. (with, or without CPU Cooling on them) What I have now works really well, so I don't think that I have to "Fix" it just yet. Waiting gives me time to evaluate how each company designs their water cooled systems and to read about how well they perform, or not.

New SSD technology is far more attractive to me these days, along with the promise of new and exciting CPU's and their platforms.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS