Samsung Galaxy S II Announcements Coming For U.S Carriers On Aug. 29

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 12 2011 1:30 PM
Samsung Mobile has been sending around this invite to various media outlets advertising an event for August 29th. The image is entitled Galaxy_S_II_Invite_v2.jpg, which leads many believe that the famed Galaxy S II is almost ready to make it's American debut.

We recently reviewed the global version of this phone, which is shipping in Europe, Latin America and a few other regions. But to date, Samsung has sold over 5 million of the phones, without any help whatsoever from a U.S. carrier.

Rumors have been flying about the phone's eventual landing on U.S. soil, and now it looks as if those rumors will soon be confirmed. As with the original Galaxy S, it's probable that all four major U.S. carriers will get a variant, with a few subtle differences serving to differentiate them amongst the operators. i.e. Verizon's version could have LTE and Sprint's version could have WiMAX.

Price points should range from $199 to $299 on a 2-year contract.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:03 PM

Oh, this ought to be interesting.

I hope HH will be there to cover it all.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I dunno that Galaxy R has me curious.

Battery life is my #1 concern and that will decide who my next device will be.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:55 PM

Hey Thunderbird; one tip if battery life is your concern, do not, I repeat, do not get a smart phone. Well unless you intend to get a second battery and then it does not matter. As far as the Galaxy SII goes the phone is decent, performance wise it seems to be the best, battery life is about the same from smart phone to smart phone give or take an hour if you are an active user. The screen on the GSII is better because it is OLED, but it is lower rez than almost anything current even the iPhone 4.

I have a Sensation which is great hardware and it is on T-Mobile. I know someone is going to say something about them being taken over by At&t. Well that is actually the reason I wanted t-mobile, see either they will be taken over and will have to early release me from my contract, or At&t won't get authorized to take them over and T-Mobile will get a bunch (8 billion I think but don't quote me) of money to strengthen the network. So either I get early contract release and go to Sprint most likely, or I don't and stick it out with T-Mo for a full year and get a quad core phone with a better GPU and screen and memory and sound and network capabilities etc etc.

Either way for now I have a good deal on a good smart phone! However; if I would have waited until now to buy one, well I don't think I would be in a very good place to buy on as the quad cores are supposed to start in about 45 days (mid October) so why would I want this phone. I would also ask is it worth what they are going to try to charge which I can promise will be more than any other smart phone period for the next 45-60 days. Then it will be replaced by all new phones most likely.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 170

How about a phone that is able to run Linux?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 3:48 PM

Android already is a sub-form of Linux pretty much.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS