Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,847
Points 1,170,630
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:08 AM

Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone ReviewSamsung's Galaxy S II was first introduced to the world at Mobile World Congress 2011, and despite the fact that quite a few smartphones have shipped in the months between then and now, Samsung's top-tier smartphone remains a favorite across the globe. In fact, it hasn't even shipped to America yet. With a potent dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 16GB of internal storage, a full gigabyte of RAM and the latest version of Android (2.3 aka Gingerbread), it stands as a powerhouse to compete with other top tier handsets...

Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone Review

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,573
Points 103,135
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 12:09 PM

Nice review, and a darn nice phone.

Your statement: "the champ today may not be the champ tomorrow" is so true, but one could wait forever in anticipation of the next, big, new thing coming down the pipes. (the same goes for computer parts)

This phone is obviously good enough in many ways, and when a carrier finally offers it at a reduced price, it will be compelling.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Thanks again for the review I was waiting on Ray and Marco. Big Smile

Do you have the battery life for the Captivate so I could compare? I am assuming the Galaxy S 2 is much better.

I like the picture of the "zero gravity" chair in the backyard I own one myself it was nice to see i'm sure your back thanks you.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 5:17 PM

It's a Super AMOLED _Plus_ display meaning they got rid of Pentile. To make room for a proper RGB matrix they also had to increase the screen size from 4" to 4.3" so there's absolutely no room for qHD.

The home button is nice BUT it also brings a very weak point to the glass (the glass is cut out to make room for the button). I had my SGS1 crack from the Home button from a hit that was so small that I didn't even bother checking if anything damaging happened. So I've searched a lot on the net about cracked on SGS1 to find the best way to go about. Basically all cracks that I read about started from the Home screen. The problem is that whole front is one whole piece...so first of all the glass is one big piece so if you crack it at the home button you'll most likely get the crack going through the screen itself. Secondly since it's all one piece you have to replace it all and that's about 1/3rd to half of the cost of the display.

For those with a SGS1, I can tell you the difference between the 1st and 2nd is huge. I was expecting a difference but not this much. This goes for the speed and the screen going from Pentile to RGB. The only downside is that very little things make use of this phone. I think the only thing would be running Tegra 2 games with Chainfire or emulating PS1 games.

One thing missing in this article is mentioning that this phone actually has TV out capabilities and 1080p for that matter. It has the MHL chip so you can plug in a cable to the micro-USB and it will change to TV-out.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ALau replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 9:38 PM

my lowest linpack multi-theard score is 79.597.,highest is 89.289.

And my device is stock, just cleared the RAM b4 running the test.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 11:12 PM

ALau, thanks for your feedback. We've actually seen some variability with our Linpack scores and are updating the article now.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 7:03 PM

Schmich, good insight there. Thanks!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 1:23 PM

I read this review and now I cant help but think, Man, i want this device haha. Excellent review!! Really enjoyed going through it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Thanks for the great review Ray!! I've been drooling over this phone since it was announced and have been "patiently" waiting for one! Should be a good phone, looking forward to the release and picking one up. Now you just need to compare this bad boy to the bionic to see which one is a better buy, I vote gsII but the bionic should be a beast as well.

Oh and word on the street is that it will be released through multiple US providers on August 29th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/12/samsung-plans-august-29th-mobile-launch-galaxy-s-ii-finally-l/

oh and has anyone heard pricing with contract rumors?? Hopefully it's not 299 like the charge....gross! And if all carriers will have the same version? Hopefully they don't change the look and feel too much if they do at all.

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
Vixencode replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 10:45 PM

Really nice phone, i must say.

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:08 AM

I agree.  I had mine since August and really liked it.  The only drawback was the audio chipset they used (especially when compared to the original Galaxy S).  

Performance was great, the camera was awesome, and I never had a problem with it.  Only reason I'm not still using it is a friend wanted to buy it off me as their phone died, so I decided to pick up the Galaxy Nexus.  Not quite as good as the S II, but I still like it so far.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

Awesome review.  I have been loving this phone since I got it in October.  This phone does everything very well.  Awesome specs and camera.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
sam75 replied on Mon, May 28 2012 8:59 AM

Hi,

Thinking of purchasing on and changing from the iphone. Reading thru the post. Anyone got any pros and cons?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Not only did I buy one of the best smart phones of 2013, but Amazon has some awesome s4 cases at great prices. I'm so excited that I just wanted to share the deal that I received on my s4 case http://amzn.to/12zGpJ0 - Don't know how much longer these discounts will be active, but they have many.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS