A Terabyte For Notebooks: WD's Scorpio Blue 1TB Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,615
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:08 PM
It seems like we never have enough space.  Sure, a 1TB notebook drive might be more targeted to the mobile workstation market but we're willing to bet there are more than a few pack rats in the mainstream as well.

Recently, Western Digital  stepped out and announced their new 1TB 9.5mm Scorpio Blue 2.5-inch notebook drive.  The announcement was significant in that it's the first drive of this capacity to squeeze that many bits into an industry standard 9.5mm, 2.5" SATA form-factor.  To do this, WD drove areal density per platter in their 2.5" platform to 500GB.  Here's a look at the new Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5-inch SATA hard drive and its specifications.  Next we'll run down a quick performance comparison for you on this beefy mobile beast as well.

• | Post Points: 215
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Well it's about time to upgrade that Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB drive sitting in my laptop now.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"With dual drive bays becoming standard in 15 inch laptops and up, this hard drive is a great for storage and or replacing that low capacity , low performing hard drive that most people have. Nice price also."

Optimus

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 11:30 PM

Yeah, this drive and an SSD in the first bay and you've got a nice mobile setup for speed and storage.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 9:07 AM

I like how they're getting better (than the 7,200RPM Black) performance with a 5,400RPM drive.

Now, if they were to use the same methods on a 7,200RPM speed drive, what kind of performance would we see?

I wonder if this is in their plans to do?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 9:32 PM

Yes, Neil. That's generally the way they roll out the technology actually.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SouthPaw42 replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 10:17 PM

With msata becoming more wide spread and 6gbps msata drives coming this fall the speed of this drive will be perfect for the data drive in all notebooks soon.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 10:33 PM

Dave_HH:
Yes, Neil. That's generally the way they roll out the technology actually.

There's a lot that they can still do with platter drives as I see it.

(at this point let me ask forgiveness for my upcoming "Old-Fart" technical expressions)

So,.....looking at the inside one of those platter drives,....they have those cute little 'fingers' that swing back and forth above and below the platters as they spin away so merrily, reading and writing like mad. what if they doubled the 'fingers' so that there were two per side, per platter? (each one reading and writing to either the inside or outside surface?)

Would that speed them up a little more?

Random crap running around in my head,.... must need the tin foil hat again,................Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Why are you comparing the drive to old 500GB and 640GB models? Wouldn't the Samsung M8 1TB 2.5" 9mm drive (which actually came out a few weeks back - yep, WD wasn't the first) be a much more fitting partner for comparison? It's the competition, after all...

Also, since we're talking about laptops here:

Power consumption?

Heat?

Noise?

This isn't a review, it's an advertisement. :(

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

this looks awesome, but where to buy it?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Aug 1 2011 2:53 PM

SBroenner, while I don't appreciate the accusation that this story was some sort of an advertisement, I'll respond to your question.  First, the drives we tested along side the new 1TB WD drive just happened to be what we had on hand.  The 1TB WD Scorpio Blue is a 5400RPM drive, just like the Seagate 640GB drive we compared it to.  The Scorpio Black we tested is a 7200RPM drive so theoretically faster in general and for random access latency versus the new WD 1TB drive.  Regardless, as is typical, the reference test drives we use for comparison are just that, a reference point. 

Of course there are other drives on the market, including Samsung's, which again, we don't have here for testing.

And heat and noise on this 5400RPM drive we pretty much insignificant, so the reason for the lack of mention in our quick-take look at it.  It was a preview, not an extensive review like our in-depth multi-page evaluations we do.

Again, I appreciate your questions and input but I also would appreciate it if you could ease up on the insults.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ZAoi replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 2:16 AM

yes i would also like to know where to buy it as all i see on the net are 12.5's not 9

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 250

This could be good if my PS3 can handle a terabyte drive.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 12:32 PM

ZAoi:

yes i would also like to know where to buy it as all i see on the net are 12.5's not 9

Looks like Amazon has them:

http://hothardware.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=894055078/search=WD10JPVT/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=asc_df_B005DVJJWQ1646724

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 12:39 AM

Thanks for the preview review and actually surprised that the performance was almost as good all around as the WD blacks which has been my personal fav for a laptop platter HD.. Pretty close to call on a a price performance for a WD 750 black or the 1 TB blue maybe just simple storage and cool temps may actually be the deciding factor for many mainstream users cuase the one that I would install or replace do not run benchmarks.Nice to read realneil 's idea of having dual actuator arms to run the spidey fingers and heads in parallel>>

glad you mentioned it 'cuz it's like some of us have thought of it before and just thought it was just crazy oh well maybe self contained platter RAID ?

ok enough waffling' time to hit the hay.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
bsbs replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 9:23 AM

Dave,

I appreciate that you let me know that WD released this HDD, as I am searching for a HDD which could replace my old 9.5 laptop HDD.

I would just like to make a short comment. Why do you still have the comment "it's the first drive of this capacity to squeeze that many bits into an industry standard 9.5mm, 2.5" SATA form-factor."? In the reply you said that "Of course there are other drives on the market, including Samsung's," which made me very upset.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 10:10 AM

bsbs:

Dave,

I appreciate that you let me know that WD released this HDD, as I am searching for a HDD which could replace my old 9.5 laptop HDD.

I would just like to make a short comment. Why do you still have the comment "it's the first drive of this capacity to squeeze that many bits into an industry standard 9.5mm, 2.5" SATA form-factor."? In the reply you said that "Of course there are other drives on the market, including Samsung's," which made me very upset.

bsbs (interesting user name btw), the key here is the 9.5mm dimension. There are other 2.5" drives out there but at the time, WD was the first to get to 9.5mm thin, which is the standard dimension for notebooks.  Thicker drives might not fit in standard chassis cages.  However, earlier this week Toshiba just announced a 9.5mm 1TB 2.5" drive.  No need to be upset.  Life is too short to let little things (literally) upset you. Wink

Editor In Chief

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 12:03 PM

Dave_HH:
Life is too short to let little things (literally) upset you.

LOL!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 12:53 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 7:06 PM

rrplay:

Yeah, they do now, but they didn't on August 4Th.

I wish my Laptop had a place for 2 HDDs in it,......I'd use the 60GB SATA-II SSD that I have on the bench with one of these 1TB drives for data.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:13 PM

yep noticed that too. after seeing the latest Two and Half Geek Episode and Dave made reference to these high density platters and performance  thought to check out the egg for these 

the WD10TPVT 1 TB @ bare drive for $ 109.xx is 12.5 mm NOT 9.5 mm

re:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136545

the 9.5mm 1 TB  as previously posted at $129.xx is 9.5 mm

re:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

All to easy to pooch' that one in err. 

yep I am with you Neil having a SSD and one these Blue Caviar in a laptop is a great way to go ..pretty snappy performance @ likely to save on the battery.

come to think of it >>  the preview and & previous comments is enough for this cat to make up his mind regarding these drives.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
saab03 replied on Tue, Dec 20 2011 8:53 PM

does the 1.0TB will work if I upgrade from 500 to 1.0???

Courses Direct UK is where you can study Online Courses at home.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CArrao replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:14 AM

Where could I find an external case for this HDD??... cos have 12,5mm high.....

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Dave,

Would you recommend this or the 750 black drive for my MacBook Pro? As I understand t the blacks have twice the catch, are 7200 rpm vs 5400, and have a five year warranty instead of just a two but they don't go up to 1tb yet. With the upgraded performance of the new blue 1tb drives how do they do compare to the back 750 drives?

And lastly when do you think the black 1 tb are coming out?

Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:09 AM

Hi BL, 

I'm not sure when the black 1TBs would come out for mobile but definitely go with that higher spindle speed and larger cache.  It should make a big difference.

Also, check out the possibilities of a larger SSD.  Even a lower end (performance wise) but higher capacity SSD would smoke either of these options, though likely be more expensive of course.

In notebooks especially, where bumps and vibrations are much more common, SSDs really make a lot of sense for durability too.

Thanks for stopping by HH.  Stick around!  :)

Editor In Chief

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS