Sapphire Swings Pure Platinum A75 Motherboard for AMD Fusion

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,792
Points 1,163,030
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jul 21 2011 12:26 PM
Sapphire's showing AMD some love by supporting its A-series Fusion APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) platform with the company's new Pure Platinum A75 motherboard. It's a full-size ATX board that makes full use of the A75 chipset and A-series APU. It has four dual-channel memory slots with support for up to 16GB of DDR3 memory (and up to 32GB "when suitable modules become available), four onboard USB 3.0 ports (two at the rear), four USB 2.0 ports (eight including headers), GbE LAN, Bluetooth, five SATA 6Gbps ports with AHCI and RAID support, and a single SATA 3Gbps port brought out to the rear panel via an eSATA connector.

You'll also find three video output options, including DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort, and any two can be used at the same time. Expansion is provided by two standard PCi slots, a single PCI-E x4 slot, two PCI-E x1 slots, one mini-PCI-E x1 connector, and a single PCI-E x16 slot.

"Many user friendly features have been incorporated in the Sapphire Pure Platinum A75, such as digital debug display and a push button reset for the BIOS, as well as start and system reset buttons," Sapphire explains. "These are especially useful for enthusiasts interested in performance tuning or overclocking. The board has a Dual BIOS, allowing for experimentation and updates, and for the hard-core enthusiast, voltage test pads have been brought out to the edge of the board for the critical voltages on the APU and memory circuits."

The board is constructed of a black multilayer PCB and uses gold plated connectors for USB 3.0 and LAN. It also incorporates all-solid capacitors throughout, multi-phase voltage regulation circuitry for both the APU and memory modules, and chokes with coolers.

No word on when it will ship or for how much.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 1:18 PM

Didnt know sapphire made motherboards, thats new to me.

AMD APU chips seem pretty nice for budget computers. I know a few people who mainly only use their computers for internet browsing and light gaming, so these chips might be perfect for them

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 12:34 PM

This platform goes beyond simple internet browsing and light gaming. It's video encoding and decoding speeds are impressive and there is a lot of features on it too. Gaming is excellent with another GPU added into the mix, They work together to provide exceptional frame-rates.

I don't have as nice a F1 based mainboard as this one, (mine is a ASRock A75M-HVS) but it's impressive anyway. It has THX TruStudio sound, 6 SATA-3 ports, 4 USB 3.0 ports, and it supports Blu-ray Stereoscopic 3D with HDMI 1.4a.

The BIOS is a graphical UEFI BIOS and the USB ports charge your connected devices even when the PC is turned off. It also has a software tweak that speeds up USB data transfers called XFast USB. I tried it and it really works. I'd say it's full featured.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 6:40 PM

"Gaming is excellent with another GPU added into the mix"

No it's not. First of all the scaling shown on different benchmarks is far from ideal. Secondly sure it's far far ahead from any Intel GPU but that doesn't say much. Thirdly you're way better of getting a proper low-end discrete GPU. The performance just isn't there for gaming at normal resolutions just like trying to run folding at home would be useless on them.

They're good all-round computers/setups but excellent gaming isn't even remotely close.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:17 PM

Schmich:
No it's not.

Works good for me,...

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS