How to post your photos on HotHardware, a guide,......

This post has 14 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Idea [I] Posted: Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:00 PM

Posting Pictures on our site is a two step process. First you go to your HH profile by clicking on your picture at any of your posts. Then you scroll down to "My Files" on the right hand side, and within that box, click on "View All Files". This opens "Your" files box. At the top of that box is a "Browse" button that you select so you can navigate to your picture's location on your PC.

At this point, let me say that I can't post anything that is 1MB or Larger, so you have to edit the shot to a size below 1MB in size before you proceed. use your own choice of software to get this done. (I use the photo editor in MS Office because I'm used to it)

Once you locate your picture and navigate to it and select it with the "Browse" feature, you click on the "Add File" button right next to the "Browse" button and the picture will load up into your HotHardware allocated files section.

Once the picture is in there, you can add it to any of your posts by this method.

click the reply button on a thread, or start a new one. The window that you already know and love will pop-up and you add the text to it as you prefer. Then, within that box you will see an icon that looks a little like a film strip with a tiny plus sign on the bottom right hand side. (it's kinda green in color) When you hold your mouse curser over it without clicking it, a box pops up that reads "Insert Media".

So you click on this icon and your files box opens up.

If you click on "your files" icon it tells you that there are no files there, so you HAVE to click on the little triangle to the left of that and it opens a box underneath of it that you can click to actually see your picture that you uploaded already.

So you select you picture from the right side first. Then you have to make sure that before you post it, you set the "Max Width" box to 597. (this makes the picture display at the perfect size in our forums)

Last, you select "Insert Media" and complete your post.

After you do it a few times it's easier.

Once the post is complete and in the forum, anyone seeing the pic can click on it and it displays to a larger screen with size, and clicking it again brings it to full size.

Setting the "Max Width" box to 597 is extremely important to do. It keeps your picture from looking grossly huge in the thread.

(posting pictures that you didn't shoot, could cause problems, so check for copyright on pictures beforehand and respect them by not posting if they're copyrighted)

I hope that this helps you newer guys out.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:24 PM

Thanks for posting this, I have been encountering a number of issues when trying to share pictures.  With this I shouldn't have any more problems :)

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 7:31 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, bro.  One minor thing, though. 597 pixels is the max width without having the image auto-resize and potentially lower the quality.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Awesome job! I think this will help out quite a few of our users :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 8:21 PM

Marco C:
597 pixels is the max width

Ok, I was advised years ago by someone else to use 600 and have been doing so ever since,....ha-ha!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,103
Points 11,175
CDeeter replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:19 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!

Been a bear figuring this out. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 3:05 AM

You're welcome. It took me a while to get a handle on it too. Someone, and I can't remember who it was, helped me out as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 3:43 PM

I've been wondering about the max width for a long time! Thanks Neil!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

Ha-Ha!

I got the MAX Width wrong in my original post!

MAX Width S/B 597 according to Marco.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Bump

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 1:53 PM

Thanks man this was awesome, simple, detailed and easy to follow

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 3:04 PM

You're welcome.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 155
BJohnson2 replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 11:21 AM

Thanks for this posting, really helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 20
Olivia2012 replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:44 PM

nice post ,bump

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:12 AM

Thanks,.........

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS