Sprint Now Throttling Virgin Mobile Data Plans

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 18 2011 6:42 PM
All good things must come to an end. With Sprint being the last major oasis for unlimited data plans, the news that subsidiary Virgin Mobile is going to begin throttling users is indeed negative.

With competitors Verizon, and AT&T killing off their unlimited data plans and T-Mobile throttling users, customers desperate for data have been moving to Sprint or one of several small, contract-free carriers, like Virgin Mobile. However, Sprint announced last week that they would start throttling Virgin Mobile data users that went over a limit of 2.5GB.

Many users are now questioning if this is a sign of things to come; while Sprint ads admonish T-Mobile for its "unlimited data" plans which are not truly unlimited, the company is now doing the same to its own pre-paid branch, and some customers think this may soon be the end of unlimited data as they knew it.

There are others suggesting that this may be a move for exclusivity on Sprint's part; while Virgin Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint, users that wanted truly unlimited data could pay the cost of a new Android smartphone up front and then get 300 talk minutes, texting, and data for $25 a month, no contract required. They even have a web page for customers to compare pricing versus other carriers (Sprint being conspicuously absent from said comparison).

Meanwhile, Sprint charges much more for unlimited data: $79 per month on top of a required two-year talk and text contract. If potential customers had been weighing Sprint against Virgin Mobile, and Sprint was losing, then perhaps Sprint decided to put an end to the competition.

With Sprint's flagship Evo 4G doing well and new heavy-hitters on the way in, the company may have decided that now is the time to make themselves stand out as the last top-tier company offering unlimited data. Regardless of the reason behind the decision, it seems that customers will be the ones stuck with the tough decisions in the future.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 10:00 PM

Well, they definitely convinced me (honestly I leaned that way anyhow) to NEVER get a smartphone. I'll stick with my "dumbphone" and a wifi-only tablet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 53,895
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 10:10 PM

I hear you... eventually something has to shake out of this mess the carriers are in and created. Something will have to change dramatically. I bet we're all going to be paying far less for calls, and more for data in the not so distant future but the current data plan prices are a joke too.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610
omegadraco replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:43 AM

The cost of data for the carrier is ridiculously low compared to what they charge their users. To me this simply sounds like they are bringing their pricing in line with Sprints plans to some degree. The important thing to note is that they are not charging more they are simply throttling the speed which I believe is a much better strategy then charging customers more like Verizon and At&t do.

I agree with you Dave something has definitely got to change with all of these ISPs limiting our data usage and more of our data being moved to the "cloud".

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,422
Points 102,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:13 PM

These wireless carriers are already making huge gobs of money (profits galore) every year, yet they b*tch about the costs of doing business. They want MORE Dammit! and they want it NOW!!

Cue sound of a Nazi screaming, "Sign Ze Papers!"

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 11:36 AM

OK it is still $35 a month for the unlimited data/unlimited text/300 voice minute plan right? So they throttle you if you go over 2.5GB thats still the best deal in mobile for the United States.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CHenry replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:24 PM

I got a discounted phone (Triumph) on cyber-monday; still debating whether to use wifi only or buy their data plan...them slowing it down after 2.5GB helps me keep my "contract/plan"$$ in my pocket. I have wifi most of the places I go. Thank you for the discounted phone/wifi 4.1" tablet; and improve your plan and I may get it sooner than if I take my own sweet time to decide that I "need" it...something's got to give... I have been on a prepaid phone plan for over 5 years, avg'ing less than 100 min a month; $10/a month charges... why would I change to $35/month? I don't even use 100 minutes... how about 5.0gb plan(unlimited, but slowed at 5.0gb) for $10or $25...? (whatever's fair) throw in 100 minutes, or 50; is ok with me...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS