Sony Introduces Slim New Portable DVD/CD Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:07 PM

Sony Optiarc revealed a new dual USB bus powered slim portable DVD/CD rewriteable drive designed for use with notebooks, netbooks, and desktop PCs. The new DRX-S90U drive features a lightweight design. The drive supports up to 8X DVDR recording speeds. The drive can also record to 8.5 GB DVDR Double/Dual layer and 4.7 GB DVD-RW discs at 6X speeds, DVD+RW at 8X, DVD-RAM at 5X and CD-R/RW at 24X. In the box, you'll get the drive as well as a copy of Nero 10. The drive connects via USB 2.0.

SONY OPTIARC AMERICA INC. ROLLS OUT SLIM PORTABLE DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE

SAN JOSE, Calif., July 14, 2011- Sony Optiarc America today unveiled its first dual USB bus powered slim portable DVD/CD rewritable drive to complement notebooks, netbooks or desktop PCs.

The new DRX-S90U drive boasts a sleek and ultra lightweight design and supports up to 8X DVDR recording speeds, delivering a full 4.7 GB disc of video, data, music or images on standard 8X DVDR media.

Additionally, the drive can record on 8.5 GB DVDR Double/Dual layer and 4.7 GB DVD-RW discs at 6X speeds, DVD+RW at 8X, DVD-RAM at 5X and CD-R/RW at 24X

The drive comes in a retail package with Nero 10 CD/DVD burning application which is compatible with the Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP operating systems. Additionally, the drive is compatible with the Mac OS X operating system.

The portable drive offers quick and easy connectivity with a Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) digital interface for simple setup and maximum flexibility. The built-in dual USB cables integrate in a cable duct for easy storage.

The DRX-S90U drive will be available through authorized distributors, resellers and select online sites this month for under $70.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:47 PM

Sure, it burns DVD's *now*, but what happens next year when Sony pushes out the new firmware that removes that feature in order to prevent you from potentially copying a Sony Pictures film?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"Here's 3vi1 circa 1980 something"

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 1:50 PM

Haha... Yeah... I used to buy a ton of Sony stuff. Never again.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 10:19 PM

3vi1:
Haha... Yeah... I used to buy a ton of Sony stuff. Never again.

You're preachin' to the choir brother 3vi1. I don't do any trade with them either. They are poor examples of what a corporation should strive to be. It's all, and only, about the bottom line with them.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 420
MCook replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 1:26 AM

I have a lot of Sony products, they still put out good stuff in my opinion. Two Sony HDTV's in the house, a couple of Sony Alarm Clocks and a PS3 (Slim), they are still top of the heap in quality in my book.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 3:49 PM

Our problem is not with the quality of their products, MCook. I do agree with you that this is not their problem.

The issue that realneil and I have with them is that they don't respect the rights of their consumers and have shown a consistent penchant for abuse. So, I don't buy them anymore, and recommend people away from them at every opportunity.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS