SATA III SSD Round-Up: OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, Crucial

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,010
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jul 12 2011 2:54 PM

SATA III SSD Round-Up: OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, CrucialWith all of the new products to hit the SSD market recently, we thought it was a good time to pull together a varied sampling of cutting edge SATA III solid state drives to see how they stack up. We’ve got six drives on tap for this piece, two apiece from OCZ and Corsair, one from Patriot and another from Crucial. On tap are the Corsair Force GT, Corsair Force 3 Series, OCZ Agility 3, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, and the Crucial M4...

• | Post Points: 215
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Nice round up, good to see Corsair coming out on top, their product investment and development is paying off, RAM, Cases, Power supplies, Coolers now very positive SSD's reviews, how long until they start going in the Motherboard business, maybe partner up with Nvidia and AMD for GPUs?"

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 4:26 PM

I'm always impressed by the numbers put up by SSD's. That increase in speed can really save time over the long run as well as increase productivity. Thanks for the comparisons Marco :)

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks for the great review :) The OCZ vertex drives have seemed to come out on top in most reviews of course they are also the most expensive drives in this review. It is pretty impressive how close in performance all these drives were.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 7:26 PM

Great review, it's nice to see all of these SSD's even though they perform similarly to every other and OCZ really comes out on top...

Still, it's nice you took the time to do this.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:23 PM

Thanks for the look at SSD's again. You guys make it easy for us to keep up with the newest innovations with these timely reviews. (you should send them to us for field testing though)

OCZ seems to be the most affordable when I go to Newegg and shop around there. I just bought a 60GB OCZ Solid III drive that is supposed to do 500 read and 450 write. Plenty fast enough for the i7-2500K Z68 system that it's going into. I should get it on Thursday or Friday and that means that I get to build two systems this weekend,......(dig-it!) One of them is an AMD F1 socket, A8-3850 system.

At $114.00 ($94.99 after the rebate) and free shipping, I had to jump on the deal for that SSD.

While some of these drives put forth better performance numbers than the others, all of them are smokin' fast in my book.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 10:39 PM

I have been saying since the first review on that OCZ 3 drive came out I will be looking for new drives come Black Friday. I am glad to see so many performing at around the same area with 4/5 being roughly the same, and 1 the crucial not near those number for read or write, but still close enough to see it as a performance part the companies have two options. The first is to lower price, and the second is to make faster ones quickly. In the end we the consumer's win all the way around.

Yes; I have an SSD, but it is only big enough to run as an OS drive. I would love to have games etc on an SSD as well. I do have two SATA 3.0 6MBS plug ins on my board, and 4 SATA 2 ones which my big mechanical drives run on 2 of. I would love to have both an OS, and a Game drive added to those two 750Gb data drives, so I am hoping we see a OCZ Solid 4 or it's like from one if not all of them by November, which would of course tank the prices on these series 3 drives. Then I could grab either a couple 120Gb ones or a 60 Gb OS drive (with performance numbers like these) and either another one or a 120Gb one for games as well as other software which would make good use of a performance drive.

Of course I still remember when I got my 80Gb WD screamer (or what was one back then at it's lofty 7200 rpm data speed's), and at that time thought it was one of the most awesome things period along with my PII 400, and ATI all in wonder pro!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
mados123 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:32 AM

Great review here. I've been contemplating going with a SSD but am concerned about the catastrophic failure rate (supposedly on par with 1-2TB HDD) and more so seen with the SandForce controllers vs. an Intel solution. Is it true that there seems to be a tradeoff between very high speeds and reliability?

As a side note and for those of you interested in ridiculous transfer rates, I needed a quick solution for my 5400rpm that I was trying to do uncompressed video capture with.  Since it was too slow & stuttering, I used the free RAMdisk solution from Dataram to assign a drive letter to a portion of my RAM.  Below are the results including data transfer rates of 2433 MB/s read & 4132 MB/s write!  Of course, it is volatile storage but from a transfer speed perspective and a quantifiable comparison, the numbers are pretty cool.  The numbers compare the RAMdisk solution with my WD VelociRaptor.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:51 AM

I wouldn't say there's a tradeoff between the higher performance drives and reliability. I would say, however, that drives from companies with more resources for qualification and testing (i.e. Intel) do seem to be more reliable according to some reports.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:40 PM

That is one reason monster hardware HD's are great. Grab a 2Tb drive and have a consistent back up for $100.00. In the end nothing beats incremental backup, and an image backup which is how I do it. My incremental is on a partition on one drive, and my incremental is on another both are old school 7200 rpm drives, and I think I paid about 110 dollars for them both together.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
mados123 replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 1:52 PM

In the news:

Intel Bug Causes Failed SSDs Turn 600GB to 8MB

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-bug-ssd-320-series,13076.html#xtor=RSS-181

I guess it goes back to backup, backup, backup but that downtime w/o the SSD would really stink.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 4:28 PM

mados123:
I guess it goes back to backup, backup, backup

It always WAS,................and it always will be too.

A failure can occur anywhere with any hardware. I suffered a lightening strike that  knocked out one of my three desktops and didn't phase the other two at all. The one that was hit was utterly destroyed with nothing salvageable in the entire system. It was the brand new wazoo one that I had just built a month before. Insurance paid for the parts and I ended up with better hardware when all was said and done,.....but I lost very little data because of my backup drives.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

I don't know about other SF-based SSD but CZ has been having issues with all their 3rd gen SSDs. With FW 2.02 to 2.06, people have been complaining about lock-ups and BSOD in Windows. It seems FW 2.09 has resolved the problem for many but some people claim some performance loss as well. Just throught people should know before spending that kind of money for "premium" products. Oh, and I own a Vertex 3 (non-MI).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 10:25 AM

SBerthiaume:
~OCZ~ has been having issues with all their 3rd gen SSDs

Thanks for your post. I'm all set to begin a Sandy Bridge build with a OCZ Solid drive in it. After reading the above,.....I just updated the drive's firmware on another PC *before* I began. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JKrueck replied on Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:33 PM

I have to comment on the first paragraph before I forget about it. I agree with what's being said and now we're already getting to the point where non-enthusiasts want it too. Everytime someone comes over to my house and borrow my computer for a few minutes, they're always shocked by the fluid, quick response my pc has.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655
digitaldd replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:19 AM

News:

SATA III SSD Round-Up: OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, CrucialWith all of the new products to hit the SSD market recently, we thought it was a good time to pull together a varied sampling of cutting edge SATA III solid state drives to see how they stack up. We’ve got six drives on tap for this piece, two apiece from OCZ and Corsair, one from Patriot and another from Crucial. On tap are the Corsair Force GT, Corsair Force 3 Series, OCZ Agility 3, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, and the Crucial M4...

Tigerdirect has an OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD for $110 after rebate. Anytime I see an SSD for under $1 per Gig its a deal.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 185
KMotheral replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 1:41 PM

What is the difference between the SandForce and Marvell controllers and what would be the more compatable with my rig? I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair lV Formula motherboard and a AMD Phenom ll 1090T processor. Thanks for the help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:31 PM

KMotheral:
What is the difference between the SandForce and Marvell controllers and what would be the more compatable with my rig?

Of those two, Sandforce is the better performer.

But OCZ has just introduced new drives with their own controller on them. (they recently bought Indilinx, a controller company)

They are very impressive and I think that they'll become the new standard in performance. You should look into these.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 185
KMotheral replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 3:44 PM

Thanks very much for the info!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 4:53 PM

You're welcome, and welcome to our site.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
husnantwt3 replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:47 PM

nice info and nice review...

http://crucialssd.com/

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS