Survey Says 35% Of U.S. Adults Own A Smartphone

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,831
Points 1,168,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jul 12 2011 11:36 AM
Who owns a smartphone? The better question may be: who doesn't own a smartphone? The Pew Research Center has just conducted a poll, and they found that one-third of American adults own a smartphone. Actually, a bit more: 35%. And that's just adults; based on the amount of kids we see walking around NYC with smartphones, that number would likely be higher if the scope was wider. The Project’s May survey found that 83% of US adults have a cell phone of some kind, and that 42% of them own a smartphone.

The survey also found that those who are well-educated are more likely to own one, and they also found that younger folks are indeed more likely as well. Those under the age of 45 – 58% of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 now own a smartphone as do 49% of those ages 18-24 and 44% of those ages 35-44. Urban and suburban residents are roughly twice as likely to own a smartphone as those living in rural areas, and employment status is also strongly correlated with smartphone ownership.

As for usage cases? Some 87% of smartphone owners access the internet or email on their handheld, including two-thirds (68%) who do so on a typical day. When asked what device they normally use to access the internet, 25% of smartphone owners say that they mostly go online using their phone, rather than with a computer. While many of these individuals have other sources of online access at home, roughly one third of these “cell mostly” internet users lack a high-speed home broadband connection.

So, where do you stack up here? Are you a statistic, so to speak?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 6:38 PM

I remember when I got my first smartphone I decided then and there to never go back to a regular phone.  The added functionality was astounding to me at the time.  I was able to stay more connected and plan my schedule without having to write everything down.  Having numerous things I want and need all in one place is the best.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 8:23 PM

And the data plan you pay for... They must be making a killing off of that.

While they do look impressive and are becoming more functional. I don't think that I'm rich enough to afford a smartphone at the time... The combination of the calling plan and the data plan just puts too much strain on my wallet.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:20 PM

Mine is smart because it's out of contract and not freakin' expensive. (I use an old, smelly Razr)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I have a iPhone that I run on T-Mobil prepaid, the only time I use it is for testing on iPhone (have not built a hackentosh yet). I run I OS, Android, and WP7 using Cydia on it. Outside of that I use it as a phone. When I am out and about the last thing I care about is doing anything with the net. Oh and this includes email if it's not important enough to call me about it can wait until I am sitting there ready to do real work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,093
Points 38,115
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 8:52 AM

I really thought there would be more.

Maybe some of these adults were not sure what a "smart phone" is. They might have an iphone and think... Oh no this isn't a smart phone, it's an iphone. Or they could have any of the dozens of phones that are for sale today and not realize they are smart phones....

I very rarely ever see someone using a regular phone...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,820
Points 45,680
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:35 PM

I agree acarzt, but as they said the likelihood is greater in a urban or suburban area. With the population movement seeming to be the same it throws up some interesting things sociologically speaking. A smart phone for all uses and purposes now is just a small computer you carry in your pocket. As has also been discussed they will be computers with quad core cpu's by October/November from what I have been hearing. I saw a guy asking a question somewhere the other day about should he just cancel his internet connection and just use his Verizon smart because he was moving into a new house. That idea sounds insane to me, but I guess if you wanna pay car payments for your smart phone bill, well you just go right ahead. Lol; he came back about having an unlimited plan, of which I told him he was severely mistaken because there was a cap on it, he wanted to argue, I would love to see his face when he gets the bill after running his smart phone as a wireless hotspot for a month.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS