Nyko Zoom Enables Kinect Play In Cramped Quarters

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,895
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 11 2011 2:01 AM
There's good news, and bad. The good news is that a new Nyko accessory (the Zoom) will be shipping on August 23rd, and it aims to reduce the amount of room you need for Microsoft's Kinect to pick up moves effectively. As it stands, you need around 10' of space for it to work properly. But the Zoom cuts down on that space requirement by zooming in, in theory, and modifying the Kinect bar via a hardware add-on. That probably sounds great for those who live in 1-bedroom apartments, but here's the rub.

Microsoft isn't endorsing it. In fact, the company's making a slight case against it. Reportedly, Microsoft has come out to say that they won't support any modification to the Kinect sensor bar, despite this being a simple clip-on product. It's only 29.99, so for those with cramped quarters it may be worth taking the risk. But just know that reducing the amount of required space by 40% may indeed cost you. Decisions, decisions...

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

This would be great, I recently moved. Previously I had a tiny apartment with a long living room, so I could move the couch back to play. Now, however, I have the opposite while my living room is still sizable I have a new couch which is deep, so deep that when I sit all the way back the middle of my calves hand over the edge. How am I supposed to play my beloved Kinect games, especially the awesome lineup later this year. Will they really know if you have clipped this on other than possible scratches which could be avoided with care... or I could just put my entire system at an angle and put the t.v over the fire place?? Perhaps MS should have thought of this, given that not everyone has a giant house.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 11:46 AM

MS simply wants to avoid the inevitable "my Kinect isn't working with my Nyko Zoom" support calls. While I understand that motivation perfectly, if I were the guy in charge, I'd set up a system to forward calls to Nyko if that's what the call involves. Alternatively, tell the customer, "Remove the Zoom and see if the Kinect works. Yes? Then you will have to call Nyko for support. No? OK, let's see if we can get your Kinect working."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:25 PM

Well RTietjens, that would still involve support to pick up the call and could clog up the line for those that has issues with the xbox it self. Understand them completely, but if ur having issues with a device it would be best to call the one you bought it from anyways :)

Nice idea and device.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS