Skype And Facebook Get Integrated

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:10 PM
Facebook, meet Skype. And Skype, you should probably meet Facebook. The two met in a major way today during a Facebook "Something Awesome" press event, where a grand total of three new Facebook features were introduced. One of those was a revamped design for chatting. Evidently, a good many of the 750 million Facebook users enjoy the chat function, and it was revamped today to scale properly and take better advantage of wider browsers.

The next is a revamped group chat feature; Facebook's making it even easier to initiate group chat sessions, and they said that around half of the users participate in one way or another. But those are just the appetizers. The real news came with a partnership with Skype, which now ties Skype into Facebook's web design in a huge way. Video calling is now a one-click process for Facebook members, and those familiar with Skype (and used to see their friends around) will no doubt enjoy the new feature.

Furthermore, those who would rather use a standalone application can download the v5.5 Beta for Windows in order to see their Facebook contacts from there. Mac and Linux users have to wait, and there's no word on when these new features will spread to the mobile side. It's pretty clear, however, that Skype and Facebook are in this for the long haul, and now we just have to wonder if this will affect how Facebook and Windows 8 are integrated. Will the initial bootup screen ask you to sign into Facebook? It's a social world, after all...
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 415
Points 5,315
FreeJet replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 8:30 AM

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Wait, is this out already? cause i can't seem to find out how to use it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:38 PM

I hope this comes to the mobile side of Facebook. I think it would make it easier to video chat with family on my phone if Skype and Facebook would get together.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So people may finally use Skype?

I know people who use Skype, but they dont really "use" it. This is exactly where it belongs, as a pluging for a common service like FB. Google talk is cool, but I probably wouldnt use it if it werea seperate service.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance