Circle Hack Brings Google+ Group Creation to Facebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 3 2011 2:46 PM
Google+, the Internet giant's new social networking project, is still in "field test" mode, but Facebook is already learning from it. A group of Facebook engineers has apparently been inspired by the method that Google+ uses to create groups of friends, Circles.

In Google+, to add a friend to a Circle, which is just a group of friends, you simply drag the friend into a Circle. That's a lot more user-friendly than Facebook's method, which involves going into your Friends, clicking on “Edit Friends,” then on “Create a List” and adding friends manually.

Well, what is it they say? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Thus, we have Circle Hack, created by a bunch of Facebook engineers, Vladimir Kolesnikov, Peng Fan, Zahan Malkani, and Brian Rosenthal.

Photobucket
It's really a Facebook application, so to use it, login to your Facebook account (if you're not already logged in you will be prompted) and "Allow" the site access just as you might do for any other Facebook application. Then you drag your friends into the circles below.

Once you have a Circle organized the way you want it, you simply click on the "Create List" link that appears in the center of your new circle to name it. That's it; you're done and the next time you open Facebook, you'll see the newly created list as an option in the "Friends" section and in your privacy settings, just as if you created the list the "normal" way.

There are some caveats. Circle Hack is great for adding and creating a Facebook list, but it can't be used to delete a list or remove a friend from a list by dragging them out of it. Still, it's a great first step, assuming Facebook wants to pursue it ... or more likely, something else that's similar, to avoid ticking off Google ... as a permanent change.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 10:23 PM

And Geohot comes to call, even though not listed rofl! So now Google will sue Facebook and get royalties as it is officially in development from Google right before there engineers (boy what clever engineers) decide to steal a piece.

One thing most in the field have learned don't screw with M$, A$, or G$ unless you have a good high priced, high skill set of attorneys who have been successful at the least 50% of the time in a court of law, not a set of attorneys who looses to the Harvard twins for having somewhat of the same idea, and then you go steal a direct beta app from one of the 3.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

@rapid1 I agree pretty dumb to take the idea directly from Google. But I think FB will be safe because it is an application that does not appear to be directly supported by FB. Plus it is not a true implementation of the circle since all it does is create standard FB lists.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jul 4 2011 11:03 PM

lol yeah I was kidding with part of what I said. When we heard about Geohot getting hired by Facebook I had said they must want to get some free app's )several said they would just have there own dev's make what they wanted), which there developers at least semi copied at least the idea here. While this is not "supported officially", kind of like windows power tools right. It is still made by developers in there house whether they claim it or not.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS