Ricoh Picks Up Pentax Camera Business For 10 Billion Yen

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,669
Points 1,155,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 1 2011 10:33 AM
Consolidation in the photography industry? It's happening. It's starting on a smaller scale, but it's likely to expand in due time. Ricoh has just announced they will be the ones picking up the Pentax camera business from Hoya, with a company known for copiers and scanners evidently wanting access to Pentax's SLR technology. What's a company like Ricoh going to do with it? That's a great question. It's a bit tough to think about a Ricoh-branded DSLR, and with Nikon and Canon already owning a lion's share of the market, one has to wonder how much success the company will have in this market, anyway.

The deal will see Ricoh paying around 10 billion yen (that's over $124 million) for the business, which is no small chunk of change. Here's the real question: do you trust the Ricoh brand name enough to invest in a Ricoh camera / DSLR? Hmm...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 1:25 AM

I'm no camera aficionado, but $124M seems inexpensive for such a well known brand. Let's hope they have plans for synergies that involve more than laying off redundant business groups.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I agree, but Ricoh is most likely interested in their patents. Canon and Nikon dominate the DSLR market, with Sony quickly catching up.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

I agree they are probably more interested in the patents. Most likely they will not release a camera under the Ricoh name but will continue to use the Pentax name for camera products.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,555
Points 103,030
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:44 AM

When I was a young man, (so long ago) Pentax was a viable choice for a SLR Camera. They made quality goods. Ricoh has a decent reputation too. Maybe it will be a match that produces new ideas and lower prices.

ALSO: Could it be possible that Ricoh has a groundbreaking new idea and needs the DSLR manufacturing capability that comes with Pentax to produce it?

We'll see.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 11:54 AM

>> Could it be possible that Ricoh has a groundbreaking new idea and needs the DSLR manufacturing capability

I like that idea. I like that a lot.

Finger's crossed.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:48 PM

Yeah I agree on the fact that this looks good. Of course we will have to see what comes from it, but it looks nice to me. Let us hope they drop some truly new design and components with a decent price line to as I would imagine they would have to with a combined company obviously looking for some new space in the current market which is pretty much owned by Nikon and Cannon. SONY may be coming up but they have not made it yet!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That doesnt seem to pricey. Pentax has always been know for having the smallest pocket cameras.

the merging of two of the top four is an interesting prospect. Hopefully they will emerge stronger!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance