Google Shuts Down Google+ Invites, Cites "Insane Demand"

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,855
Points 1,115,295
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:31 PM
If there's one thing Google knows how to do, it's drum up excitement (actually, Google's pretty adept at search and email too, but that's another story). Just look at Google+, the sultan of search's latest attempt at breaking into the social networking game and taking on the likes of Facebook (a monumental task) and MySpace (shouldn't be hard). After announcing the Google+ Project and giving Plus users the ability to invite anyone they want to test out the service, Google has had to turn off invites due to "insane demand."

"We've shut down invite mechanism for the night. Insane demand. We need to do this carefully, and in a controlled way," Google's Vic Gundotra said. "Thank you all for your interest! For any who wish to leave, please remember you can always exit and take your data with you by using Google Takeout. It's your data, your relationships, your identity."

And so it begins. Google+ went live on Tuesday, in beta form. With what Google's trying to accomplish here, it's a promising sign that it's had to turn off invites, even if it's frustrating for users who'd rather try it out for themselves rather than read about it.

Did you receive a Google+ invite? If so, what do you think about it so far?
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"I didn't get an invite , but I wouldn't accept it either, not interested. In fact, because of Facebook, I use Gmail less these days, Its pretty much to receive rather than send . I repeat, FaceBook rules and there nothing else that will make me fill a profile right now."

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I plan on dumping Facebook and using only Google+, although I have to keep a blank account to make pages for small business's. All but one of my online friends refuse to use Facebook but they are open to Google+ if it is what people are saying it is.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
xOmar9x replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 8:20 PM

I got an invite! and i love it so far ! i hope more people start to use it and the fall of facebook starts now! :D

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
xenfreak replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 8:37 PM

Facebook: "We're going to provide an email service"

Google: "We're going to provide a social networking service"

Facebook: "Touche, Google"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 11:03 PM

They are creating artificial demand by restricting the supply. Google tried to do something similar with Google Buzz, but perhaps this is a more serious effort. I wish them good luck.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:33 AM

this sounds pretty interesting. i like the whole concept of "keep your data" but we will see. I guess google already has all the data outlets, maybe it doesn't really need this one- for our sake.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:50 AM

Insane demand. This must of been more popular then anybody first though. Perhaps more popular then Google Music.

This is going to go well for Google in the future if it has insane demands for invites like this.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 2:44 AM

I tried to get an invite but to no avail. If the circles works like I think it does then I should be able to post a message specific to people. No more apologizing to my Mom for boisterous remarks, yes please :)

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I'd wait a couple of months, by then invitations should be going around like the flu.

I'm still not convinced of this "insane" demand. Are people really looking for an alternative to facebook. I do like the Google+ idea of "circles". That way you can keep your work friends and your personal friends separate, choosing who sees what update. I don't know if facebook already has that feature, I don't use it much.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

If the invites work anything like Gmail when it first was released than gibbersome is right soon the invites will be going out like crazy.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SKundu replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:57 AM
  • Giving Away Free Google+ invites till it lasts..Look into the blog http://crack-o-holic.blogspot.com/ for details !!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MDeese replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 7:50 PM

You can still get Free Google Plus Invites at http://www.free-google-plus.com It’s the only site I know that you can still get invites at right now, since Google stopped allowing the public.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:38 AM

Eh, I don't even use facebook much, why bother switching to this? I only got on facebook to begin with because the woman I was dating was using it. I hope to use google+ at some point for the same reason...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS