HotHardware's "Dads and Grads" Gaming Rig Winner!

This post has 58 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 2:12 PM

I played Demon's Forge just for one level to get a feel of the game and show my girlfriend. It felt pretty solid but I told her I would wait until we could play together.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 3:10 PM

I am going to do this Hot Rig JUSTICE.

Currently looking online for small bezel 3D capable monitors. I would love a fully featured Eyefinitiy 3x1 setup but the prices on these monitors are pretty steep. I have found some curved monitors that look interesting as well. Not really sure what I plan on doing yet but it shall be done. If anyone has any suggestions let me know :)

Here's the links to what I found thus far

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Video-Perspective-Unique-Eyefinity-Demonstrations-using-Curved-Displays?aid=890

http://www.godevice.com/2011/03/04/top-5-best-3d-monitors-for-gaming/

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 4:01 PM

LBowen:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Video-Perspective-Unique-Eyefinity-Demonstrations-using-Curved-Displays?aid=890

Ryan Shrout... I would not trust this man with a life. He is like the worst hardware reviewer in history, focused specifically on things such as performance (within the smallest of margins if anybody would) and not enough on power consumption, effectiveness, value and heat. I swear, he couldn't reasonably review stuff like graphics cards and processors to save his life.

The only beneifit for that site is that if you want to see Left 4 Dead 2 benchmarked with modern graphics cards. No other site does it! (Because it would be pointless.)

Besides, you've got us and we've come up with better results then any of the hardware sites out there. Don't worry, we'll make sure you get the best 3D monitors with the smallest bezels possible.

(The monitor listed is an Ostendo CRVD, costs a fortune for you to get 3 and well, they don't really do 3D. It wouldn't even matter because it would be out of your price range. These babies cost around $6,000 a pop.)

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

This was an awesome contest, and I got to interact with a lot of new people! It would be awesome if the next contest could have multiple winners! Just a suggestion : )

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 4:16 PM

Okay... Just did a quick search. According to the pictures, this might be your best bet for ones with thin bezels.

• Acer GD235HZ
  • Acer HS244HQ
  • ASUS VG236H
  • Alienware OptXTM  AW2310
  • Or if thinner bezels are not your thing, these monitors might be more up your alley.

• Planar 23" SA2311W
  • LG W2363D-PU
  •  

Top 50 Contributor
    Posts 3,236
    Points 37,910
    AKwyn replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 4:17 PM

omegadoom13:

It would be awesome if the next contest could have multiple winners! Just a suggestion : )

There can be only one... Runner ups get USB key drives!

(Oddly enough, mine has not arrived yet.)

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 754
    Points 8,520
    LBowen replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 4:28 PM

Thanks Taylor I was checking out the Acer's earlier and they have a great setup while being competitively priced. I'll check out everything you mentioned when I get back from work.

I don't know if your postman might do the same but those type of packages they dump into my backyard....going to make sure I am at home when this is delivered.

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
    Posts 231
    Points 3,280

Hmm how about eyefinity 6? :D Actually 3 will do, I've only got 2 so I can't say anything. Love the ASUS myself, I didn't buy 3D (yet) but can vouch for Asus after using a couple of their monitors, of course reviews and forums always help with the final decision. Can't wait to see all this set up.

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 988
    Points 10,620
    coolice replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 5:22 PM

Ye Ye!! Congrats Lbowen!!!

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 1,071
    Points 10,850
    CDeeter replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 5:27 PM

Hey LBowen! Way to go man! Enjoy that bad boy.

Thanks to the Hot Hardware gang and all the sponsers for a great contest.

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 5,048
    Points 60,675
    3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:05 AM

Congrats and welcome to the club, LBowen! If you enjoy your new rig half as much as I enjoy mine, then... I... suppose I will have enjoyed mine 100% more. Unless we're talking about from your perspective, in which case I will have enjoyed it only 100% more. Either way, it's possible I enjoyed mine more. Enjoy!

Be sure to crunch a few folding@home numbers for the HH team and help fight cancer!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 754
    Points 8,520
    LBowen replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 11:31 PM

Thanks guys I'm still super pumped :)

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
    Posts 224
    Points 2,390
    Kiristo replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:30 AM

Awesome, congrats LBowen.

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 754
    Points 8,520
    LBowen replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:19 PM

As an update to the monitor search I have found some interesting candidates from Samsung.  With their connections I'm sure it could support both Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions; not to mention the incredibly small bezel would be amazing for surround display.  It's pretty expensive and not easily available but I think it's sleek and feature-filled.  I saw it for $700 :( but the price should go down with more competition *fingers cross*

Feast your eyes upon this beauty and imagine surround 3D Gaming :)

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 35
    Top 500 Contributor
    Posts 231
    Points 3,280

Wow that is slick, it'd almost be nicer if it had that panel without the stand completely and was mountable, actually that would be amazing. When you getting the PC LBowen?

Top 50 Contributor
    Posts 3,236
    Points 37,910
    AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:00 PM

LBowen:

As an update to the monitor search I have found some interesting candidates from Samsung.  With their connections I'm sure it could support both Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions; not to mention the incredibly small bezel would be amazing for surround display.  It's pretty expensive and not easily available but I think it's sleek and feature-filled.  I saw it for $700 :( but the price should go down with more competition *fingers cross*

I remember seeing those on a website somewhere. I've heard that it has deeper blacks and more accurate colors then the average TN monitor. It may or may not work with 3D Vision though you may be tempted to try.

Anyway, I'm guessing the price your seeing is because it hasn't been released over in the states yet... I don't know what you would do with the TV function if you had this monitor (probably a reason for the price increase, as well as the size of the damn thing) but it would work well as a 3D Monitor. It may be a while before it hits the states though...

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 754
    Points 8,520
    LBowen replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:23 PM

I'm not too sure when it's shipped but it has only been a few days :-) That monitor is really hard to come by for the US market so I can wait for it too come down in price but come November it's go time for a surround 3d setup.

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
    Posts 3,236
    Points 37,910
    AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:03 PM

LBowen:

I'm not too sure when it's shipped but it has only been a few days :-) That monitor is really hard to come by for the US market so I can wait for it too come down in price but come November it's go time for a surround 3d setup.

Even if the prices go down. It'd still be expensive so unless you have a really, really good job. A 27-inch monitor setup would cost you like $1,800, compared to the $1,200 to $1,100 price range the other monitors offer.

Top 150 Contributor
    Posts 754
    Points 8,520
    LBowen replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:54 PM

Yowzers that is quite a lot of dough but I'm definitely optimistic that I can find a way to make it happen when the time comes.....I mean I have two kidneys for a reason Idea

"I have the power!!"

Page 2 of 2 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS