Sony Reveals VAIO Z Ultraportable: Big Brains, Big Price Tag

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,770
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 28 2011 5:42 PM
And now, for Thunderbolt's next trick! So far, the new I/O port has remained pretty much Apple's darling, shipping on modern day iMac and MacBook Pro machines. But now, the PC users can get a taste as well. Sony just announced their new VAIO Z Series, a 13.1" notebook that includes a new Power Media Dock, a standard-voltage Core i7, SSD, high-res (1600x900) anti-reflective display and yes, a Thunderbolt port. But it's not your average Thunderbolt port.

But we'll get to that in a moment. The Power Media Dock is unlike anything we've seen to date, offering quad-video monitor support, AMD Radeon HD graphics, an optical disc drive and an HDMI output. At just below 1.2kg and 16.65mm slim, it's definitely one of the trimmer machines on the market. It also features a special 'sheet battery' that provides up to seven hours of computing, and there's an HD webcam (powered by Exmor) that tends to perform well in low-light.

What's wild is that Sony cannot use the Thunderbolt term. They have to call out a USB-esque port with Light Peak technology, but it's all the same. Furthermore, there's an external GPU option for those needing extra graphical power whenever you can afford to plug in. No wonder there's a $2200+ price tag!
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

That is quite the price tag! I'm guessing the extra cash required is because of that one little port too! Here is the thing with thunderbolt; anyone in the tech circle knows it by Light Peak as well as (Apple named) Thunderbolt. If they say we have a laptop with Light Peak technology most people who are interested in a laptop like this will understand.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 7:23 PM

VAIO != Quality.

Big no to Sony from me :(.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Its expensive sure, but after seeing this video, its actually no so bad, 14 hours of battery life and that External GPU is awesome."

-Optimus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-isCqzsN78

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:04 PM

They should have put in an desktop-grade GPU. A 6950 or 6970 would have been perfect and probably not more expensive either.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Boy Sony sure is proud of this VAIO Z.

Yea I'll pass. Ick!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 8:59 AM

that is a stiff price tag and would like to learn a bit more a bout the 'sheet' battery'

.Sony developed a pretty darn good product overall but would prefer to see what Asus would have to offer.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 4:23 PM

How long do you think it will be before Thunderbolt / Light Peak really catches on and becomes more affordable to consumers?

With companies such as Sony and Apple backing the technology, it certainly has a decent start. I still hate that Apple is trying to make it somewhat exclusive, though.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS