Nvidia Announces GTX 580M, 570M

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:00 PM
As of today, Nvidia's second-generation of mobile, Fermi-based parts is complete--at least, in theory. The 570M and 580M will only be available from select OEMs (at least initially), with the 570M reportedly available "immediately" from MSI as a configuration option on the GT780R gaming notebook. Alienware M18X systems can be ordered today with a GTX 580M, but "should ship in a week or so."

According to Nvidia, the two new high-end GPUs deliver both speed and more efficient power consumption. It describes the 580/570M as "up to 20 percent better performance per watt than the previous generation," while simultaneously claiming that the 570M is "20 percent faster... than the previous generation" it replaces. (aka the 470M).

The two new parts. The 570M offers quite a few more cores than the 470M did.

Like the 5xx desktop series, these new notebook parts are built on 40nm technology. If you're wondering how the 580M breaks down against NV's previous heavy-hitter, the 485M, the differences are subtle. The 580M is a new chip and incorporates the efficiency improvements that distinguish the desktop 5xx cards from the previous 4xx series. The 580M is also clocked slightly higher--its core, shader, and memory clocks are 620, 1240, and 1500MHz. That's eight percent higher than the 485M on the first two figures, identical on the third. Both the 485M and the 580M offer 96GB/s of memory bandwidth and a 256-bit RAM bus.

The 570M is made of sterner stuff. While its core speed is just 4.5% higher than the 470M's, the 570M contains significantly more shader cores (336 vs the 470M's 288, a gain of ~16 percent). Like the 580M/485M, the 570M/470M have the same amount of memory bandwidth and a common 192-bit memory bus.

As far as GPU launches go, Nvidia isn't blazing a new trail here. That's not NV's fault as such--the best/most memorable mobile launches occur when a GPU architecture debuts on a new process technology. That shift typically allows NV and/or ATI to significantly improve performance and simultaneously slash power consumption. Everyone trots out agreeable analysts to exclaim over how the mobile 3D market is improving.

Given the less-than-positive reception DNF has garnered, this might not have been the best marketing move

Without a 28nm die shrink handy, NV had to rely on rearchitecting the 4xxM hardware just as it overhauled the 4xx series to create the much-improved 5xx cards. We suspect, however, that some of the power improvements we saw on the desktop were baked into 4xxM hardware last year. Notebook TDPs are strict--NV may not have had enough wiggle room to more sharply differentiate performance between the old series and the new. But we'll know more when we test some actual hardware, which should be happening soon.

Make no mistake, the 570M and 580M are upgrades from their 4xxM counterparts, but no one who bought the older high-end cards needs to feel performance anxiety quite yet. The delta between the GT200 series to Fermi was much more significant than this update--the 5xxM cards are nudges in the right direction, not game-changing leaps.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:11 AM

We were looking at a few laptops on the forums that were updating with this graphics cards. The benchmarks were what you would expect for a mobile gaming solution.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:23 AM

Those specs look cool but I am still firmly in the desktop realm.

Though I am surprised NVIDIA has finally decided to embrace putting 2GBs on their graphics cards but alas, it's only for their mobile GPUs.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I would like to see how these cards hold up. I currently run a 8600m GT and it runs MW2 at around 38 fps, as well as, photoshop cs5 with heavy loads. However, I want a side by side comparison to see the difference between lets say my dell 1520 and a new system running i7 and a 580m. If for nothing more than to see how large the gap really is. I think it would be interesting to get the real information on the actual differences present in the laptop world. I just don't see laptops as big of a priority upgrade, mainly due to the fact that I haven't seen a good comparison.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

-I would like to see how these cards hold up-

"Here's a video of a laptop running Crysis 2 DirectX 11at 1080p and all Ultra Settings enabled with dual GTX 580M, these cards are wicked."

-Optimus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbmggGIotQ

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:59 AM

Crysis 2 does need much to run at full settings. Mobile GPUs are a joke pure and simple. They should just get it on with external GPUs with desktop grade boards/cores in them.

You get multiple benefits:

-heat will be in the external GPU case and so the laptop will have prolonged life

-you can easily have an energy efficient mobile GPU for when you are not gaming and are on the run

-if the gaming GPU dies you don't have to replace the whole laptop

-when you buy a new laptop you can just take that awesome GPU with you

-if you want to upgrade the GPU you can do so

-prices would probably be the same if not lower considering how much these types of mobile GPUs cost.

Sony started now with external GPUs _but_ they're putting a crappy mid-range mobile GPU in it. Quite stupid if you ask me. As it would have its own power source who cares about having an "M" version. Just get a desktop version with proper performance that would beat the cards mentioned here by miles.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:21 AM

Heat would be my main concern; something high end mobile gpus have had problems with lately.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"You have very good points ,except for the fact that the external mobile GPUs were not available up until this morning. I dont agree with you Saying mobile GPUs are a joke, their are plenty of them with lots of horse power, and you do have to remember that they have to meet certain power restrictions, after all, they are ment for the mobile enviroment."

"Off course what has started today with Sony , AMD and Intel/Apples Light Peak is a wonderful thing depending if and when a Desktop class GPU will be available for the mobile sector. I like the idea of having a thin and light quad core or six core notebook in 2012 and being able to connect to a light peak enabled or compatible GTX 680 that will also work with my desktop. "

-Optimus

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I guess Nvidia had to come with some sort of refresh and this 5 series on the 40nm process was all they were able to work with as the article stated.

I am just glad it's not a rebranded 4 series. I know in the past GPU makers have been accused of this and it's good to see a gain in performance, even if its ever so slight.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 2:25 PM

Gonna hit a few points here:

Mobile GPUs are not a joke. Are they as powerful as their desktop counterparts? Of course not. Yes, the difference can be quite significant--the mobile GTX 480, in some cases, offered less than half the performance of the desktop flavor.

Sure, if you're comparing to a desktop, the mobile parts are weak. Most laptops, on the other hand, don't run at nearly so high a resolution as a desktop, the parts need to fit into mobile form factors, and plenty of would-be gamers may not be able to afford a desktop and a laptop.

As for the external GPU solution, as far as I'm aware, consumers have never shown much interest. The number of people who want external GPUs has apparently been too small to convince anyone to build them. (With a few exceptions).

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 11:09 PM

The Nvidia 560M is already quite a beast. I would like to look at the idle power usage figures on these.

@Joel H, you're absolutely right. Mobile GPUs have gotten considerable more powerful since with the development of Nvidia Optimus and similar technology has allowed the user to benefit from peak performance without sacrificing battery power.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS