It's Back: The Apple Television Rumor

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,880
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 21 2011 10:30 PM
Apple TV could be a reality, and not the set-top box that is currently named Apple TV. Rumors of Apple entering the television business have been tossed about for years already, and the latest ones point to an iOS-powered HDTV, perhaps as early as late this year.

The source is a former Apple executive, and his information is that Apple will team with a major OEM to create the HDTVs. According to the source Apple want to "blow Netflix and all those other guys away." It will attempt to do so by embedding both the current Apple TV + iTunes inside television sets themselves.

Still, this sounds a lot like Google TV, doesn't it? Apple made a lot of fun of Google TV when it introduced its own Apple TV. Additionally, Google TV hasn't been exactly selling like hotcakes.

Additionally, television sets are traditionally a high volume, low margin business. There is no lack of competitors, and in addition to Google TV, many manufacturers have their own Internet-connected TVs, as well. It wouldn't seem like a good segment for Apple to enter.

Despite this, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has been quite vocal about the "need" for Apple need to enter the television space. In August of 2010, he predicted that the now current Apple TV could be a stepping stone to a $2,000 all-in-one television. Muster predicted such an Apple television set would generate $2.6 billion in revenue in its first year on the market.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:09 AM

Apple TV!

*click*

Ah, much better...

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Just no... Apple would be stupid to enter the TV market though I am sure the sheep would flock. Plus that $2K price point is a bit out of the ballpark I am sure it would be a minimum of $3K to get an Apple branded TV. There are plenty of other manufacturers who are doing a fine job making the "All-In-One" TV set.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 9:20 AM

Yawn!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 11:55 AM

LOL, all you are just saying that and its true. But i think they will sell great... just see how many fan boys are other there... lol

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I agree with @omegadraco it is going to be more like 3k. Knowing apple it will be thin, silver, and use crap components. 720p anyone????

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"If Steve and Apple decide to enter the TV market, its going to be a success. I would expect it be a High quality 1080p thin Super Retina Display with some knock out features and at an affordable price. Why are people hating, I don't know why, Apple recent track record id solid."

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Sounds like Apple is trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 1:03 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"If Steve and Apple decide to enter the TV market, its going to be a success. I would expect it be a High quality 1080p thin Super Retina Display with some knock out features and at an affordable price. Why are people hating, I don't know why, Apple recent track record id solid."

I'm going to state this again. I see the Apple TV as some sort of super color-accurate wide-gammet deep black TV with exceptional picture quality (even though they've used Panels from LG, they seem to configure it in their own way.

Retina Displays aren't everything you know.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

Additionally, I got sick of all the addition words in this article.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I have to agree that I am sure they would be putting out a high quality product. I just don't see it as a smart move for them because there is already so much competition in the TV market and lots of innovative companies.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS