LulzSec Extends Helping Hand After SEGA Pass Hack

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:15 AM
As they themselves have noted before, LulzSec hacks for the "lulz," and that means their targets are somewhat eclectic. Thus, they have reached out to the latest Japanese gaming company to be hacked, SEGA, and offered their services.

Sega found itself hacked, and on Friday sent out an email to those affeted with some details.
  • The SEGA Pass system has been offline since Thursday, June 16.
  • The SEGA Pass database was hacked.
  • A subset of SEGA Pass members' email addresses, dates of birth and encrypted passwords were obtained (SEGA re-emphasized that the passwords were encrypted).
  • SEGA uses external payment providers, so no personal payment information was obtained in the hack.
  • The company reset passwords and all access to SEGA Pass has been temporarily suspended.
Naturally, the company warned that if the same login information is used for other websites or services as you do for SEGA Pass, users should change that information immediately. We've warned before that end users should be sure not to use the same passwords between sites.

It's an uncomfortable fact that many use one password and one password only across all their services and sites. Also on Friday, however, LulzSec, which has hacked so many sites that we've lost count, sent out a public Tweet addressed to SEGA:
@Sega - contact us. We want to help you destroy the hackers that attacked you. We love the Dreamcast, these people are going down.
Yes, they love the SEGA Dreamcast, so they'll put on their white hats this time. It's for the lulz.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 11:24 AM

It's good to see them wanting to help out for once, but could you trust them to actually HELP? The only good to come out of these hacking events is hopefully companies will be smarter about their security. I hope to gawd sites like Paypal won't get hacked :S

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:10 PM

Hey they love the Dreamcast, let them help! :D lol...

Maybe its true, maybe its a scam to get more info... :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 1:00 PM

also saw some news about how many folks practice un-safe password habits by not changing them, not using strong enough passwords.having the same ones for different sites .Pretty common just ask some folks that are not on tech forums or members here and you may see what I mean

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I guess the lulz don't really understand that you can't be both whitehats and blackhats. They are definitely blackhats in my book at this point.

@Manduh I don't know if this paticular attempt to help out is valid so I personally would not trust it with there track record. But there are professional hacking companies out there that specialize in hardening a companies servers by finding the holes and making suggestions on how to fix the problems.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 2:57 PM

So... Anybody remember Anonymous?

@Manduh I would totally shiver in fear if they did that, I have a bank account linked there.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

Yeah, no way would I trust these guys to actually help. Once you let your guard down and let them in, they would probably screw everything up and then brag about how they did it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 8:42 PM

Oh for sure! I actually have a friend who use to be quite the small time hacker around my area and got his first real job that way. Now all he does is vamp up security for the businesses around here :)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 5,330
FreeJet replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 9:38 PM

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS