Steam Offers Free-to-Play Titles

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 6:55 PM
Steam has become an important launch point for all modern PC games but it's concentrated on titles that were sold as discrete products. As of this week, that's changed--the company has announced that it's adding support for multiple free-to-play games.

F2P games offer free access to much of the game, but use microtransactions to fund the purchase of extras. Said extras can variously take the form of new areas to explore, weapon upgrades, power-ups / unique abilities, and in-game currency. The exact options depend on the title in question, but the system is designed to offer an immersive, enjoyable experience without charge while reserving certain features for gamers willing to pay for them.

The first F2P titles to be available on Steam are: Spiral Knights, Forsaken Worlds, Champions Online, Free For All, Global Agenda: Free Agent, and Alliance of Valiant Arms. All of the games should be available by Sunday. Not all F2P games use microtransactions as a revenue streams--there are also titles that offer a subscription tier with additional access to content or various other features.

The introduction of Free to Play games is another example of the constant evolution of Steam," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "Free to Play games offer new game genres and game experiences for customers, while offering developers and publishers new revenue opportunities and the ability to reach customers in areas of the world where the traditional packaged goods model is less popular than F2P."

Lord of the Rings Online is one game offering a combined free play + subscription policy.

F2P games are partly aimed at addressing the proliferation of modern MMO's. Ten years ago, the heavy hitters were Ultima Online, Everquest, and Asheron's Call. Today, there's World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Rift, Everquest 2, EVE Online, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes, Dungeon's and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, Hello Kitty Online, Aion, and DC Universe Online.

WoW, of course, is the 80-ton gorilla in the room and the giant pink wooly mammoth cowering in the corner. When paid subscriptions are the norm, it limits the number of games a player is willing to try--particularly if they have a huge   
amount of time invested in other titles. F2P titles get around that obstacle by offering a complete, pervasive game experience. Given that all the games mentioned above may not match WoW's 12 million subscriber base combined, F2P may have become more popular in recent years in response to Blizzard's murlocstrocity.  

With Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2, Valve has demonstrated that the F2P model can be applied to games outside of the MMO RPG genre. we may see a number of genres and titles moving to this method of billing. Multiple analysts have been claiming that mobile gaming will savage traditional game prices. Frankly, we disagree--touchpads and small screens offer an entirely different experience than a console or a PC. The best mobile games are ones that can be enjoyably played in as little as 5-10 minutes. It's not a 'better' experience, per se, but it's definitely a different one.

Despite this, developers may see microtransaction-driven games as a hedge bet they can lean on if sales on more traditional systems start to slump. We expect Steam will expand its F2P offers depending on the popularity of its launch titles.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:29 PM

this is pretty neat, hopefully it brings more gamers to PC's.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:02 PM

Steam is a great service. One of the few that use.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JKrueck replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:39 PM

Just started playing the lord of the rings one. Can't afford that $20 a month bogus anymore.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:03 PM

F2P games are great though they often have purchases built into them to be successful. This F2P with micro transactions scheme has the potential to net developers even more profits than just selling a game for $40-60 dollars.

I agree realneil Steam is a great service and you can get some good deals on games on there as well. Though I recently purchased the Witcher 2 from GoG.com since more money from the game purchase went to the developers. Of course GoG.com concentrates on really old games :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 2,395
Kiristo replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:33 AM

I started playing League of Legends about a year ago because it was free. I've played it heavily for almost a year now, and only spent money on skins. It's a good game that really doesn't hurt you to not pay any money to play. After the experience I've had (and continue to have) with LoL, it'll be difficult I think to get into anything subscription based again.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:20 PM

I've tried some F2P and can certainly see the huge profit in it. Micro transactions sound cute and innocent but to compete with the "best" you've got to open your wallet. Reminds me of WoW private servers, collecting "donations" upwards of $500 for gear, of course that's a good way to land yourself in jail as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:16 PM

It's great to see Steam offering Free-to-Play titles and I really hope they push some by independent developers but I don't know if I'm ready to jump on, especially after my disastrous flirt with Free-to-Play.

To clarify. I like Free-to-Play but not if it's prime focus is profit. I mean Need For Speed World is basically rigged, aka Pay 2 Win; which means that you have to pay for the best cars and you have to pay to get the best parts from that lottery in which you have an impossible chance of winning. Seriously, Free-to-Play games should not follow EA's model at all.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 11:41 PM

Gotta agree that Steam provides great service and has some pretty good deals on some games .This should be sucessful bring more folks to play! esp when they can get a few titles that are pretty decent to check out and get going

.. now all they have to do is keep a safe on-line enviornmemnt for folks to play without the security fiascos of late.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 2:19 AM

I love steam. So nice to have all my online purchased games right there and available on any computer. I honestly dont know what EA is thinking with Origin and supposed "Exclusive games". They are going to hurt themselves with that one.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS