Shortcuts

ARM VP Responds To Questions On Partnerships with AMD at Fusion Developer Summit

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,590
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 1:19 PM
AMD's Fusion Developer Conference is continuing to offer up tidbits of interesting insight from a few top industry professionals, especially since there are some heavy hitters at the event.  Execs from Microsoft and ARM have given talks on a number of broad industry initiatives, including support for new programming language technologies like C++ AMP and Open CL. 

In a small round-table discussion with Industry Analyst John Peddie, the seemingly hard-ball question was asked "what is ARM doing here at this AMD conference?"  Jem Davies, VP of the Media Processing Division of ARM stepped up to the plate casually to take a swing.  We'll let you ponder that for a nanosecond or two but hit the play button to hear it from the horses mouth.

It's interesting to note that of course ARM has licensing agreements with lots of the major players including Intel, and in fact even Intel is an ARM customer.  Logically, it makes sense, AMD might want to integrate some of ARM's ubiquitous IP into future products as well.  Details of specific development efforts and future devices, of course, aren't available at this time.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks for sharing this information. I found it especially interesting that he commented that there is not any manufacturers that do not use an ARM CPU. I always like to see what will come of partnerships such as this one with ARM and AMD I am sure it will be something stunning.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

OK, I fail to grasp the meaning of the video, other than that the ARM representative has a size-able ego about their products/company.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,538
Points 54,420
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 1:47 PM

Lamar, Basically, what is being said here is that ARM is in support of AMD's software approach to the market and also might see opportunities of partnership with AMD in future devices.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS