Acer Intros AMD-Based Revo RL100 Media Center PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 13 2011 10:30 AM
HTPCs aren't anything new. They've been around forever, it seems, and largely unchanged. But Acer's new living room PC is quite different, or, at least it's different than the norm. It's shaped differently, and ships with a very atypical control mechanism. It's the Revo RL100 media center, available with or without Blu-ray and designed to be the heart of your digital living room. The system was initially announced months back, but now it's available for Americans who need a machine to pipe Hulu and other web-based programs directly to their TV.

It ships with Acer's clear.fi wireless networking, as well as a dual-mode wireless touchpad + keyboard that supposedly enables precise movements from a couch-based position. Most HTPCs rely on trackballs or some sort of integrated keyboard, but this truly does appear to be a novel solution. Outfitted with Acer clear.fi, the Acer RL100 automatically interconnects all Acer home-based and mobile devices, including smartphones, making it easy to consolidate and share HD multimedia throughout the household. This means users can access HD movies and personal content from any Acer device in the house for enjoying on a big screen TV.

The Revo RL100 measures just 1.0 inches (H) x 11.81 inches (W) x 7.09 inches (L), supports 1080p playback and is equipped with a rather unique set of components. There's a 1.3GHz AMD Athlon II K325 CPU, a 750GB SATA HDD, 4GB of memory, NVIDIA's Ion graphics and a backlit control board. It ships with Windows 7, and while DLNA streaming is supported, there's no HD TV tuner included. It also features three USB 2.0 ports, an integrated multi-in-one card reader, an optical S/PDIF port for connecting to an external home theater audio system and both wired and wireless connections to the internet via integrated 802.11b/g/n wireless and an Ethernet port. All told, the system will run $499.99 without Blu-ray, or $569.99 with.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 9:05 PM

Looks pretty cool, id be interested in seeing a full review of this. Certainly nails a cool look, just wonder how it performs. Also, i wonder why they didnt go with an E-350 or 450.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 11:46 PM

"automatically interconnects all Acer home-based and mobile devices, including smartphones, making it easy to consolidate and share HD multimedia throughout the household"

That's a cool concept, but how many of us in the 'States actually have an Acer smartphone or media player?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I wonder how much it would cost if you build a similar machine on your own. I've never built a system before, so that question goes out to builders on the forum.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Thats actually not a bad price,....considering!

It definitly needs the TV tuner so it can function as a DVR as well?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

I agree with *animatortom*, it definitely should be a DVR if I'm gonna spend the money anyway, unless we're just both missing something.

Also, I was wondering how that "controller" works, like does it switch between touch-pad and keyboard with a button, or does it automatically sense the difference?

Overall, it does look to be an interesting piece.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS