Magellan Brings Free Traffic And Maps To RoadMate iOS GPS App

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,650
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jun 11 2011 2:40 AM
When it comes to GPS apps on the iPhone, well, where to start? It all began with Garmin's desire to make a real-deal iPhone GPS app, and thanks to the proliferation of the app store, there's been a constant flood of new apps that do similar things. Including one from Magellan. Last year, the company updated their app with iOS 4 compatibility, and with iOS 5 on the horizon, they're bringing things to 2.0. The newest build of the RoadMate Navigation app includes the Yelp API and Google local search for US, Canada and Puerto Rico, not to mention free map updates for up to three years, and free traffic updates.

The newest version also features OneTouch favorites menu and highway lane assist. Users can make or take phone calls while real-time navigation activities and routing continues in the background, and all existing Magellan RoadMate App users will receive the new app free of charge. At $59.99, it's not as cheap as Google Maps Navigation, but those free maps for three years certainly makes it quite the appealing offer over on the iOS side of things.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 2:43 PM

Doesn't look too bad. The free map updates certainly help justify the price. I'd be curious to see what iOS users on this forum use for navigation.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"If I still would of have my I-phone , I would take this into great consideration. Nice to know though, I might go back to the I-phone 4 with Verizon, though Android phones are very tempting."

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

My Android phone came with a free GPS application provided by the service provider. Though I do think that major GPS manufacturers do need to do something like sell there software to stay afloat. Map update prices on true single function GPS devices were always ridiculously priced.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I agree with you. For 60 bucks minus 3 years of free maps, the this would not be a good deal. For that price with 3 years of maps, then it's an enticing deal. Still, I don't think I would be getting it. I'm comfortable using Google Maps Navigation for now.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,763
Points 40,465
Inspector replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 11:44 PM

Neat, but i got all that i need. Google maps :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 12:29 AM

Sweet, I can just pay one price and have the latest up-to-date maps and traffic and GPS-like directions to where I want to go.

Let's see Google Maps do that!

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:43 PM

Rofl this is funny I am downloading CoPilot right now on my Sensation. I have been looking around and CoPilot 8 seems to be quite sufficient for $4.99. Google Maps was used yesterday, needless to say it did not work very well at all. Luckily I did not really need direction I just wanted to see how it worked.

As far as it goes it lagged severally when it new what it was doing at all (it rerouted numerous times while sitting in still traffic). Unluckily as far as on board maps GPS goes the pick is not very big for Android from what I have seen today. I don't mean by network or active data connection GPS here I mean real full GPS apps.

Of course TomTom, Magellan, Garmin all seem to have it on iPhone. I think there was even another brand but I forgot which one. These are all US maps that I am looking for.

Oh by the way the Sensation is a great phone. As far as the GPS availability for it it seems lacking to me for real GPS apps though, at least to me compared. Unless for some odd reason I wanted a Garmin GPS/Smart phone which I in no way do! Oh and if anyone wants a T-Mobile/HTC Sensation wait until next Sunday (Fathers Day) from what I have heard (unluckily after buying one).

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS