AT&T Rolls Out Free Wi-Fi to Several New York City Parks

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,483
Points 1,196,270
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 10 2011 2:37 PM
New York City has grand aspirations of being the nation's leading digital city, and it's a getting a big boost from AT&T towards that goal. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson today announced a five-year initiative that will have AT&T providing free Wi-Fi service at 26 locations spread across 20 New York City parks in five boroughs.

AT&T Wi-Fi is available free of charge to park-goers at Battery Bosque in Battery Park, the north-end playground in Joyce Kilmer Park in the Bronx, and around the recreation center at Thomas Jefferson Park in East Harlem. By the end of the summer, AT&T will have added 23 more locations to the mix, allowing New Yorkers to stay connected with their laptops, smartphones, and tablets as they wander about City parks.

"We're pleased to join Mayor Bloomberg and the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to bring the convenience and benefits of Wi-Fi to may of the city's world-renowned parks," said Stephenson. "AT&T is committed to providing the best network and best broadband experience in New York City."

The best part about this for New York City residents is that Wi-Fi doesn't dip into their smartphone monthly data plans. AT&T currently operates more than 24,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots at restaurants, hotels, bookstores, and retailers, including more than 460 hotspot locations in the New York metropolitan area, AT&T said.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

theres one thing i know about att and that is

AIN'T NOTHING FREE WITH ATT

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

So what kind of shady back alley deals did Michael Bloomberg have to make with ATT to get them to do this. While I think it is a great idea I agree with dadodgeson nothing comes free.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 3:17 PM

Someone is surely paying for this. The residents of NYC, perhaps? I don't know who, but I'm doubtful that AT&T is just donating the Wi-Fi in exchange for nothing.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

" I doubt that our mayor is spending any financial resource what so ever on this project, I would bet is just advertisement funds toward gaining customers in NYC by AT&T."

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 7:56 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
" I doubt that our mayor is spending any financial resource what so ever on this project, I would bet is just advertisement funds toward gaining customers in NYC by AT&T."

You have no worries, AT&T is currently putting those dollars to good use by advertising about the AT&T-Mobile merger and how it'll improve everything.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

TaylorKarras:
You have no worries, AT&T is currently putting those dollars to good use by advertising about the AT&T-Mobile merger and how it'll improve everything.

"Yeah, I can already see we are gonna get bombarded with TV and Billboard ads all across NYC."

-Optimus 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS