Nvidia: It's Time to Recognize Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford as a Gaming Great

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,885
Points 1,173,310
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:42 PM
Brian Burke, Nvidia's rockstar PR manager who once held the same position at 3dfx (moment of silence...) and is not to be confused with the Toronto Maple Leafs' GM, is calling attention to someone who he believes is an under-appreciated gaming great who deserves to be mentioned in same breath as John Carmack (co-founder of id Software), Tim Sweeney (founder of Epic Games), Cliff Bleszinski (Unreal franchise), Gabe Newell (co-founder of Valve), Will Wright (Sims - 'nuff said), Shigeru Miyamoto (of Nintendo fame), Cevat Yerli (founder, CEO, and President of Crytek), and yes, even John Romero (renowned programmer and another co-founder of id Software). Who is Mr. Burke talking about?

Randy Pitchford, one of five founders of Gearbox Software and currently the CEO and President of the company responsible for resurrecting Duke Nukem from the outer reaches of vaporware, a place hyped up products and games often go but rarely ever return from.

"One guy that never gets mentioned in this crowd is a developer I first met at a wrap-up dinner for one of our Editor's Days many years ago," Burke explains. "I spotted a nerdy-looking guy quietly holding court in the corner, deck of cards in hand. I made my way over and discovered a likeable guy with a great sense of humor and a very approachable demeanor. He engaged everybody that came by: our CEO, his competition, the waiter, and even me, the PR guy. Regardless of stature or status, everybody got to pick a card or have a coin pulled from their ear."

In addition to once working as a professional magician in Hollywood (where else?), Burke brings to light Pitchford's extensive resume of creating or porting several triple-A titles, including Half-Life, Borderlands, and Halo: Combat Evolved, among others.

"So, as we approach the 13-year anticipated release of Duke Nuke Forever, I say put Randy Pitchford on your list," Burke says. "I'm betting that Duke Nukem Forever kicks ass and chews bubble bugm... and Randy Pitchford is all out of gum."

We'd offer the guy a stick, but he could probably make one appear out of thin air.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:40 PM

This guy would have to be a gaming great if he was able to bring back Duke Nukem from gaming limbo. He should continue resurrecting gaming titles that fell off the radar; It would be great if we had him go after Advent Rising next.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Wahoo three cheers for gaming gods.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 5:16 PM

I just love this guy. He made the Half-Life expansion packs, he made the Halo PC port; hell, he even made Borderlands.

This guy should be recognized as a gaming great in my opinion.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

This guy and the pepole who work at gearbox do some good work they are coming out with alliens i have seen video of it look very good and if Nivida says this about him well you don't get that kind of backing often a lot of good games here borderlands is good halflife all good

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:13 PM

Tell him that I want another version or two of "Descent". Make them playable on Win-7 64 Bit please,......

"Recoil" was fun too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

Tell him that I want another version or two of "Descent". Make them playable on Win-7 64 Bit please,......

"Recoil" was fun too.

"A big +1 on that request"

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 8:01 PM

realneil:

Well Descent 4 is being developed and I've installed Descent III on a 7 system and it managed to work just fine.

Yeah, I could never really get use to playing the game; maybe it was the fact that I was using a joystick instead of a keyboard and mouse, or maybe I could never get used to the physics of the game.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Who?

So we have him to blame for the New Duke?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance