Razer and Electronic Arts to Tag Team Gaming Peripherals

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,480
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:00 PM
If you're a fan of Razer's peripherals and EA's catalog of games (and in particular Battlefield 3, Dragon Age II, and Mass Effect 3), this just might be the happiest day of your life, other than that one wild night at college when...never mind about that. So what makes today the second best day of your life? Razer and EA are joining forces to deliver co-branded, licensed gaming peripherals themed after the aforementioned titles.

"We expect nothing but the best gaming equipment to complement our major entertainment franchises," said Patrick J. O’Brien, Vice President of EA Entertainment, Electronic Arts. "Razer’s excellent track record in producing phenomenal gaming peripherals makes them the best partner brand to deliver on our high level expectations. This significant partnership ensures the gaming community the world over enjoys Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 as they were meant to be enjoyed."

This pairing of gaming titans will result in a variety of themed peripherals, including headsets, mice, mouse mats, keyboards, Xbox 360 controllers, bags, and accessories, Razer says. Look for them to launch in conjunction with their respective game titles.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
JCrosby replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:33 PM

While I like that Razer continuously produces gaming products, I've been let down by their quality over the last 5 years. They just don't make 'em like they used to (/mourns the original Boomslang). My copperhead had failing components after around 3 years, then the Lachesis I bought to replace it had the axis tracking issues.

So now they're pairing up with the evil empire of the gaming industry... I'll pass. I wonder how much money EA threw at them?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 1,750
lipe123 replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:51 PM

Razer never needed another partner company to release branded gear like Wold of warcraft, starcraft, star wars etc etc themed products.

But mention EA and suddenly the word "licensed" starts to show up. Look seriously EA has been consolifying PC games into oblivion for the past 5 years so badly that their reputation is just dog-poop. I don't want their stinking fingers touching Razer in any way.

For all we know 1 year from now razer will only sell xbox controllers if EA has their say.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:11 PM

I like the look of the keyboard but I prefer low profile keys over large mechanical keys.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

Bf3 will be around for a while theres no doubt but i don't think i need a branded mouse & key board to play.i understand EA is all about their $$$$$ so let them have there fun but when it comes to my equipment i will stick with what works best for me BF3 is going to play nice on what every you want i like the xbox controller on PC thank you

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Nope not for me I don't need products that are branded for a specific game. Plus I am sure some of the licensing fees go to EA for each one sold.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:13 PM

I don't think a themed keyboard makes much sense to buy, even if it is a quality product like razer (who as though have some pointed out, aren't perfect, but still quality none the less), after a while as the fad of the "tagged" gaming peripheral fades away so will what you liked about the keyboard, not to mention a gaming keyboard is meant to help you game more easily and immersively or effectively and a theme on the keyboard is just a distraction

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:45 PM

lipe123:

But mention EA and suddenly the word "licensed" starts to show up. Look seriously EA has been consolifying PC games into oblivion for the past 5 years so badly that their reputation is just dog-poop. I don't want their stinking fingers touching Razer in any way.

It's just a licensing deal, not the end of the world. Razer is still going to be in control of making the devices; it's just that they're going to be releasing branded keyboards and nothing more.

lipe123:

For all we know 1 year from now razer will only sell xbox controllers if EA has their say.

I for one would buy an Xbox or a PS3 controller made by them. Hell, if that controller that was shown on HotHardware is any indication, it's that there can be a market for hardcore Xbox controllers.

Also consolifying PC games is not limited to EA. If you remember, Activision/infinity Ward made the decision to consolize their "Modern Warfare 2" for the PC masses by removing dedicated servers and the console feature. I may buy Call of Duty 4 for the PC but not Modern Warfare 2 unless it's for the Xbox.

EA is not the only one who is consolising games; and it's the masses fault for introducing the idea of consolising games in the first place. People want simple and easy, well many hardcore PC games were never made to be easy in the first place.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 11:55 PM

they should really just start releasing games with the purchase of one of these peripherals :). Maybe have it as a combo deal where you buy a mouse and keyboard together get the game free :D.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Sweet, this is what the gaming industry needs! More collectors series that come with cool things like Keyboards, T-shirts, mice..Or even just a sticker!

Now your only bet is to get to best buy before the 15 collectables are given away!

I mean for pucks sake, if you want everyone to buy a 60 dollar game at leat give them a cool sticker to put on the case or in the room, or even on their school books so it can get other people talking! Im not saying you need to give away expensive polo shirts or even action figures, just a 15 cent fricken sticker! !!!!!!

It seems they have all forgotten that if you make a cool game then your best advertisement is your fans!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance