Sony Reveals 24" 1080p 3D PlayStation TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 8 2011 11:06 PM
Is there's one company that has championed 3D technology more than any other, it's Sony. The company has pushed 3D like no other: 3DTVs, 3D support in PlayStation, and now, a 3D television display of their own, with PS-branding. That's right, a PlayStation TV! At E3 this week Sony has announced a 24" 3D display that will be available this fall in Japan, North America, Europe/PAL territories, and Asian countries/regions. For North America, the 3D Display comes bundled with 3D Glasses, an HDMI cable and the Resistance 3 title from Insomniac Games for PlayStation 3.

It'll sell for $499.99, while extra 3D glasses can be purchased for $69.99. It's the perfect bedroom or office TV, but we have to wonder about 3D at this small a size. Typically, 3D immersion is best experienced with a large display, but maybe Sony has some special magic going on here. The panel is a 1080p one, with a 5000:1 contrast ratio, a 176 degree view angle, and a 4ms GTG response time.

What's really crazy is that the display supports two-player mode; there's technology that allows two players playing a multi-player game to see individual, unique, full-screen images of gameplay using the bundled 3D Glasses and supported software title. Sounds like a perfect wish-list item for that Christmas list...
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 11:33 PM

So its a PS3 put inside a 3D TV? Or what? Needs more information :)

"there's technology that allows two players playing a multi-player game to see individual, unique, full-screen images of gameplay using the bundled 3D Glasses and supported software title"

This is pretty darn neat, if it means what i think it does, that is. So each player will seem like they have the whole screen to them self while they see different images from each other?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

There's no PS3 in the tv inspector. The tech lets you play two images on the same screen with the glasses blocking the other players image.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:19 AM

So this is basically like any other 3D tv, but with the feature of having two players with different screen views? Rather get a bigger TV and have it split screen seeing the cost of the tv and a ps3 together :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:42 AM

supposedly with the shutter glasses it makes the person unable to see the other half of the screen.

Dont care to much about 3d screens atm and it being a product of sony just makes me want it less.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Wonder what panel they use IPS or TN?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:41 AM

[insert excitement, dislike or indifference about the pstv here]

ThunderBird:

Don't forget about Plasma.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

@inspector pretty much it is just another 3D TV and a small one at that. Sony just has some special magic going on for the split screen viewing though I bet other companies will be able to do this soon as well. I imagine this works somewhat by almost creating an invisible line and transmitting to one set of glasses to read only what is above that line and the other set what is below the line.

Personally not interested in purchasing this display though it is always good to see companies push the technology forward.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

ThunderBird:

"It's actually a VA panel, better than TN, but not as vivid as an IPS panel, but its quite good. http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/ps3-3d-display-in-fall-2011.html "

"I'm not too thrilled about the size of the screen, I really don't like hardcore gaming in anything smaller than my 32 inch Samsung Tv, but hey, it has 3D and some cool features. Cant say I wouldn't want it, but it will sell. I like it"

-Optimus

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:23 PM

2 player support is crazy, I want to know how Sony got their hardware to handle double the workload without heat issue's and yellow light of death like effect

This is a bargain though, the PS3 is around $300 and a 3D Monitor or Tv usually range around $500, so other than sacrificing 2 ms of response time theres still the full HD specs at 1080p and you save about $300

Any information on whether it functions as a 3D monitor as well?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 9:52 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"It's actually a VA panel, better than TN, but not as vivid as an IPS panel, but its quite good. http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/ps3-3d-display-in-fall-2011.html "

VA. The one with better contrast ratio then the others. I personally can't wait until this VA technology makes it's way towards a computer monitor. 120Hz C-PVA monitor for the win.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 12:30 AM

I have to say... this is a sexy psp-esque looking like TV. I love the curved design!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

OSunday:

2 player support is crazy, I want to know how Sony got their hardware to handle double the workload without heat issue's and yellow light of death like effect

This is a bargain though, the PS3 is around $300 and a 3D Monitor or Tv usually range around $500, so other than sacrificing 2 ms of response time theres still the full HD specs at 1080p and you save about $300

Any information on whether it functions as a 3D monitor as well?

Hmmm. I don't think PS3 hardware is built into the screen so you still need one of them to hook up to it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So its just an expensive monitor:P

The whole point of 3D on consoles is to have a large format, at least 50".

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
KBuikstra replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 10:53 AM

u guys are so stupid!!!!!

sony made a briliant 3D tv for the playstation,

if u do 2 player u see the whole screen for urself only a different screen as the other player, thus making it easier to play noob games like call of duty black cocks ect,

and if u use it like a pc monitor means that u can put it as close to ur face as u want it.

anyway: u guys dont know *** about Sony/Sony playstation 3.

many of u guys dont even know how 3D technology works...very sily to say the television is stupid if u havent seen it or played on it...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 8:40 AM

KBuikstra:
u guys are so stupid!!!!!

Yeah, and you are friggin' brilliant, aren't you?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Aug 26 2011 11:53 AM

Wow... Just wow...

First of all, that feature is one any company would replicate within an instant. I mean it's not going to be unique to Sony once it gets out to other manufactures.

Also 3D Technology works by tricking the brain into thinking there's a second image; there isn't just one 3D technology, there's active shutter where the glasses snap the image really fast to produce the 3D effect, there's polarized (also known as Real 3D) that doesn't require any shuttering but does require a projector capable of projecting two images at once (People have two eyes, therefore it makes sense to project two images for each eye.). I'm saying this because no one has figured out that putting polarized on a TV will obviously make them more money then using shutter glasses.

There's also Dolby 3D and that works similarly to the red & blue method but supposedly allows a more natural range of colors... Look, the thing I'm saying is that there isn't more then one 3D technology and they all work differently, but we all do know how 3D works.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS