AMD Radeon HD 6870 CrossFire with 5x1 Eyefinity

This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,715
Points 1,208,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 8 2011 12:51 PM

AMD Radeon HD 6870 CrossFire with 5x1 EyefinityWith the performance of more mainstream cards on the rise, monitor prices on a downward slide, and support for 5x1 Eyefinity available (sort of), we decided to see what a pair of Radeon HD 6870 cards running in CrossFire mode could do with a quintet of screen out in front.

The cleanest way to pull off a 5x1 Eyefinity configuration, without using an array of adapters, is with a card that has at least five, similar outputs, connected to matching monitors. To that end, we got our hands on a pair of PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 2GB Eyefinity 6 Edition cards and five Dell 22” screens with DisplayPort inputs...

AMD Radeon HD 6870 CrossFire with 5x1 Eyefinity

• | Post Points: 230
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:20 PM

Going to check this awesomeness out right now, Thanks :)

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Nice article. I didnt realize that Eyefinity supported so many different configurations, and im am still impressed with how well AMD improved the crossfire scaling on these cards. A monitor setup like this is more of a pipe dream for me, but im surprised a pair of 6870s can drive that many pixels. Maybe ill do a 3 monitor setup instead...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 1:53 PM

That review was enlightening to say the least.  I thought Eyefinity sounded amazing but after seeing the amount of display configurations offered, I have come to the conclusion that I have no words to describe the technology that gives it justice.  5400x1920 = Tears of Joy Crying

A quality set of headphones combined with those screens and most would be completely immersed in the game.  Imagine playing Penumbra, Amnesia or even Dead Space with that kind of setup.  I am not ashamed to admit I would probably scream both in fright and delight.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"That setup is pretty wicked and so is this article. AMD's crossfire performance is expectacular. I'm honestly not to wild about the spacing between the monitors or more specific ,the bezel thickness, but if they were bigger, say 5 x 40 Inch TV's, I surely would not be complaining. "

"I have two questions, when in Crossfire and 5x1 mode, did you have all five monitors connected to one card?, and if so, "Theoretically", would having three monitors connected to one card, and two to the other work, and would it perform better because the processing is distributed more equal"

-Optimus 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

That is absolutely incredible. Most of us could only dream about a setup like this. It almost would seem that you really need to have the dual cards to be able to drive something this huge at really good framerates. Thanks for the great review I love the videos of actual gameplay that give us a sense of how well this setup really works.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

Aww you guys get all the fun. BTW you guys need some better monitors for multiscreening :P. Like the crossfire bench :)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I just cannot get around the bezel from one monitor to the next. If they can figure out a way to squeeze them closer together this would be great.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 5:12 PM

Well at least it's comforting to know that dual 6870's can power AvP just fine on a 6870.

I'd like to thank PowerColor for releasing this card out into the public; with the declining monitor prices in tow; anybody can have a 5x1 setup now that they think about it. And the 2GBs of memory just makes this card into so much more.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

how would you be able to buy the monitors we need a sweet deal on a few!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
jkhoui replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 8:05 PM

awesome just awesome thats all i can say, sick layout!! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 8:56 PM

LBowen:

That review was enlightening to say the least.  ...

...Imagine playing Penumbra, Amnesia or even Dead Space with that kind of setup.  I am not ashamed to admit I would probably scream both in fright and delight.

Wow is all I can say about this review .The highlight was seeing the 5 screen setup and the videos Marco made with the explanation of the settings  and frame rates.

Those vidclips definitely give us an idea as to how amazing all of this is .and being able to actually see the results Like a picture the clips are worth a thousand words.Thank you Marco for taking  the time to make and post them along in this review..

@LBowen I know I would be freaked out a bit in the Penumbra series myself with a setup like this .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 9:34 PM

rrplay, I played Amnesia in a dark house by myself with headphones for about twelve minutes. I promptly decided to turn on all the lights, grab my samurai sword and watch some Biggest Loser with full view of the door just in case. I imagine if I had that monitor setup the cops would come knocking at my door because of the screaming.

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:01 PM

LBowen, yep those Penumbra series of games can be quite the experience . They can easily mess with you head a bit .

Come to think of there's already a thread in HH about some of the Penumbra series of games here

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/52592/380547.aspx#380547

shared a bit of the free demo downloads [which are  pretty good] around Halloween time last year with a few folks. some thanked me and others ..

well let's say I never heard from them again ..  [kiddiin of course]

"Feast on Him Brothers !"   MUUUAAAAHHH !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:53 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"Theoretically", would having three monitors connected to one card, and two to the other work, and would it perform better because the processing is distributed more equal"

I'm guessing you could do it either way but neither will offer an advantage. The processing wound not be distributed evenly due to the obvious reason that just running a monitor doesn't use processing power itself. The processing power will be used once you run a game and if you have a Crossfire card then it'll be spread out evenly between the two cards for an additional performance increase. But there is no performance difference if you plug in two monitors to the other card.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So do yall drive a car with a linebackers football helmet on?

Those bars would BTS outta me! This setup is great for working, when you need the extra real estate. But with the cost of multiple screens and then the mounts for a six way setup? You are waaaay better of going with a projector if you want a large format gaming option!

Alien looked cool and it makes you feel like you are at E3 being wowed by the demo, but to get into the game?.....Nah:P there are many projectors in the 1K range that are 1080p and even some 3D ones that would give you a larger space.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

Enough! I am now going to spend the next 2 days trying to figure out how to get a job at Hot Hardware! It just ain't fair for Marco to have so much fun, and I only get to read about it. :P

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 11:10 AM

The Grads and Dad's give away will be able to run that 5x1 Eyefinity set up like a charm!

Perfect review to release around the same time of the give away,

Nvidia might have 3D locked down at the moment, but AMD's dominating the multiple screen configurations through eyefinity

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Hey thanks for the reply Taylor, would also have liked to get a response from the reviewer. I still think that the review set up in nice, but I'm not will about the division and bezel thickness. My type of Eyefinity is 3x1 landscape with three big TV's like this one from Maingear."

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 6:24 PM

@Optimus - Yes, all of the monitors were connected to a single card. And no, performance wouldn't change if the monitors were distrubuted amongst the two cards. CrossFire was enabled for the tests, so the perf. was alread being enhanced by the second GPU.

And I'm with you on the bezel thickness. Thin-bezeled monitors or some of those new thin bezel TV's would be awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have the room or resources to set up a configuration like that--yet! :) heh.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Its a gamers dream to have something like that in your living room. One more question though, unlike Nvidia's GTX 460, which only support Sli, with the 6870 , can you do triple crossfire ?"

-Optimus

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,757
Points 104,970
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 6:34 PM

This is a nice setup, but I don't have the resources for it either. Maybe one day I will, and maybe they'll come up with an edge to edge screen without any bezels to hinder the view.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

It's an exciting technology and I agree that there need to be better displays to make full use of eyefinity. In the meantime, I'm very excited to see the new generation of video cards chew up any game in their path. The hardware is a generation ahead of the software.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 1:11 PM

@Optimus - No. With Radeons that have only a single CrossFire connector, two cards is the maximum.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Ok, I was a bit confused , thought that you can, thanks for the reply and for clearing that up, I'm sure, hopefully, that I'm not the only one that thought you can go triple or quadruple crossfire with 6870's. Confused."

-Optimus

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,757
Points 104,970
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 6:34 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
hopefully, that I'm not the only one that thought you can go triple or quadruple crossfire with 6870's

Really though,.....two of them would be a rockin'-azz setup,.....I say this because my single XFX Radeon HD6870 has some damn respectable performance.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

OptimusPrimeTime:
hopefully, that I'm not the only one that thought you can go triple or quadruple crossfire with 6870's

Really though,.....two of them would be a rockin'-azz setup,.....I say this because my single XFX Radeon HD6870 has some damn respectable performance.

"Yeah, the 6870 does put up very respectable frame rates, and in crossfire even better, almost twice the performance, plus its affordable, just saw for $165 + a free game at newegg via LogicBuy.Com http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/xfx-radeon-hd-6870-video-card/32165.aspx , there's no reason anyone can't have a formidable gaming system and graphics card these days."

-Optimus

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 1,430
detnight replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 10:09 PM

I neck starts to hurt after a few hours of BF3 on my 40in. I would be in traction if I had something like Optimus has up there. Plus I would need another room

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,SAPPHIRE R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST & OC,BeerPatriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:11 PM

detnight:
I neck starts to hurt after a few hours of BF3 on my 40in.

Wait, you got a beta version of BF3?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,757
Points 104,970
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:46 PM

TaylorKarras:
Wait, you got a beta version of BF3?

You noticed that too?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

On the subject of doubling-up on 6870's, does Eyefinity overcome any restrictions of the original cards to provide a 5x1 profile? I have a single Gigabyte 6870 at present with a limit of 4 monitors to be connected at the same time and an Eyefinity limitation of 3x1. If I add another 6870 with crossfire should I be able to create the 5x1 array? There is very little explanation anywhere on the AMD website. Thx.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

I have two MSI Twin Frozr III HAWK Edition Cards and I love the performance I get from them! The look very cool and stay cool compared to alot of 6870. For around 300 and something, you can't beat the performance for that amount of money! 

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS