AMD 6000 Series Platform Reaches Out, Drives Towards “Interlagos”

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,170,960
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 8 2011 2:27 AM
As a consumer, you may think the entire computer universe revolves around you. It's a "me, me, me" world, so why not? In truth, consumer sales make up just a fraction of the earnings from major silicon makers like AMD, Intel and HP, and chips like the Opteron maintain their importance despite not being marketed directly at consumers. AMD has just taken the lid off of their Opteron 6000 Series, but in a new way. That platform actually debuted in 2010, but there's more than ever happening within that department now.

The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform’s compatibility with the next generation 16-core processor, codenamed “Interlagos,” has gained the attention of customers in the early adopting world of high performance computing, and if you aren't familiar with HPC, it's a pretty potent sector that has serious impact on science and medical fields. Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Business, had this to say: "Our partners continue to offer great examples of how the AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform can deliver superior virtualization within an impressive power and thermal footprint. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offers budget conscious IT managers performance and value today and the promise of a future 16-core drop-in upgrade."

Partner Adoption

AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform-based systems powered by AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors are available from OEMs and system builders including Acer, AMAX, Appro, Colfax, Cray Inc., Dawning, Dell, HP, IBM, Microway, NCS Technologies, Penguin, Rausch Netzwerktechnik, SGI, Silicon Mechanics, ZT Systems and more. In the past few months, new systems have been introduced by these partners, including:

• Acer GR385, Acer GR585, Gateway GW 2000h
  • AMAX AH-1103 appliance 
  • Cray XE6m supercomputer
  • Dell PowerEdge C6145, Dell PowerEdge M915
  • HP ProLiant SL165s  
  • NCS NexServ ARM-6241 
  • SGI Altix ® Ice 8400 
  • Silicon Mechanics: Storform nServ A513, A515, A516, A518
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 9:16 AM

This is looking good especially scaling up to 16 cores in one socket. I think in many cases maybe except of course straight server throughput, and in super high end area such as design being architectural, and or other high end graphical work loads. We are somewhat at another plateau where hardware is well beyond many software needs, especially in the consumer realm. Those loads in direct information management as well as with scalar applications (3D, massive tessellation) and projection also use it on the design side of things. With these AMD procs I am glad to see them moving forward as everything seems to do in the hardware world of computing. I am truly wondering if AMD is going to use the 3D depth build requirements in there new line of processors. I know Intel will within the next 2 years (I think the first will be in 2012, and refined in late 2012 early 2013), as I believe this will change a lot of things. Either way as I said earlier about the plateau I think in many areas the hardware is once again beyond the software, but I also think that is going to change quickly. So seeing this never ending non stop move forward is very good. If you look at the wider market AMD in some areas is outpacing Intel with some of there innovation especially in multi proc yet low energy processor implementation. I am really hoping there next core line is up to where they need to be.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I just wonder how far will we get in terms of core count in the the not to distant future for home use. We got an 8 core by the end of this month that will be available, what will be the standard in two or three years. All that power, amazing."

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

That is amazing, it is good to see AMD embedding themselves in the HPC market. Do you think we are going to see more manufacturers embracing AMD and building servers with their products.

@Rapid I would agree that the hardware has the capability to run larger software packages with ease this type of hardware development allows the software manufacturers to build bigger and better more power hungry products. Which is all good as long as they are still optimized to use the least amount of resources as possible and still do their job.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Im totally rooting for AMD on this one. Its exciting to see them trying something absolutely new with CMT, making a developmental step ahead of intel. I remember when intel released the first quad core (I had a 3.0 Ghz P4) and i though "really? is that necessary?". Things have come along way, and assuming software continues to scale with core count this technology is going to prove its worth to AMD.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 8:26 PM

Yes; they seem to be very efficient, if you look at the other post on these, realneil has a benchmark (Overdrive) photo and each core is running at varied clocks, but they are all at 19C, which is ridiculously low, especially when some were running over spec and some under. They are all at the same 19C temp. All of them being at a same heat index but running at the same temp shows me great efficiency in both energy usage as well as in the build and cooling specs on board.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

victor nganguem (mpongo system)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS