Apple iOS 5 Already Jailbroken!

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 7 2011 12:19 PM
Well that was fast! Apple just barely had enough time to take a breath after announcing iOS 5, the next major version of its mobile operating system that won't ship for several more months, and already it's been jailbroken by MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team!

This is an early jailbreak that's a little rough around the edges and has to be tethered to a PC in order to boot (hey, not bad for the whole 2 seconds MuscleNerd had to play with the build), but as far as functionality goes, MuscleNerd posted pictures showing his jailbroken 4th generation iPod touch running Cydia. Check out the pictures below:

(Image Credit: MuscleNerd on Twitter)

In the first screenshot you can see the iSSH client that supports tunneled VNC and X client connections. Like Cydia, iSSH only runs on jailbroken iOS devices. This all looks very promising for fans of jailbreaking, and according to MuscleNerd, the same exploit used in the iOS 5 beta will also work on the final release this Fall, so there's a good chance you'll be able to jailbreak your updated iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone devices without any delay.

Apple's upcoming iOS 5 platform will introduce over 200 new features, including things like a new Notification Center, Twitter integration, Safari Reader, Camera updates, OTA software updates, and a whole bunch more.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 12:32 PM

Wow, that hacker was fast. I can understand the desire to have homebrew apps on your personal device so fundamentally I feel there is little wrong with jailbreaking your electronics. It is when people take money from those that worked so hard to develop software for people that I have a problem with it. Support developers especially the indie developers :)

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 2:56 PM

That was really quick!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

He must have been at the developer conference and got a pre release build. Hacked it overnight in his/her hotel room... People like this hacker amaze me.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"It's cool, kudos to the hacker, but a name like MuscleNerd deserves an equal attention"

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:06 PM

That is freaking amazing; these hackers are getting faster and faster in rooting these devices.

Next thing you'll know. iOS 6 will be jailbroken by the time Apple announces the damn thing.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

I just think apple has giving up trying to fight it. why else would they allow loopholes in the OS, when they release updates seemingly weekly?

Makes me a happy camper, now I can update :)

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I thought they added ASLR to both iOS5 and Lion, I guess it didn't do much to slow them down.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

HEHE, hackers are getting so pro now a days, cracking something that hasn't even been released yet :P

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 3,190

he must be on that heavy crack. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator

He just wanted to rub Mr. Jobs face in something smelly.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 11:21 PM

And that's I love my iphone :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
leftyfb replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 11:38 PM

"iSSH only runs on jailbroken iOS devices"

Incorrect. iSSH is $9.99 in the official app store and is not and never was available from cydia. What the screenshot is showing is the ability to ssh into the iPod Touch itself using iSSH(SSH client) which also happens to be running on said iPod Touch. The ability to SSH to the iOS device is a feature of a jailbroken iOS device and not available on stock iOS devices.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MDavid replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:59 AM

Awesome job! I seriously discourage the prices these guys have on their products.. At least here in India..

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS