Intel Ships 100 Million Atom Processors

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,896
Points 1,174,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 2:29 PM
If it weren't for Intel's Atom platform, who knows how popular the netbook category would have become. Atom processors and netbooks are pretty much synonymous with each other (not without a small handful of exceptions, of course), and because of that, Intel has been able to ship 100 million Atom chips to date.

The announcement from Intel comes as its Atom platform turns three years old. During that time, Atom processors have squeezed their way into just about every low power netbook and nettop that's hit the market, even as competition heats up from AMD, ARM, and Nvidia (which licenses ARM technology).

With tablets taking over, is this the end for Atom? Not hardly. While the netbook craze has settled down, it hasn't disappeared. Not only that, but Intel has been talking a big game about busting into the tablet and smartphone markets, a couple of sectors currently dominated by ARM. For these reasons, look for the Atom platform to evolve rather than become extinct.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Intel tech. vs. ARM tech. - game on! Competition is great for lowering prices :)

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Agree competition is gold in the tech sector. Bring it on Intel ARM is going strong and AMD is shaping up to have some serious competition.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:42 PM

As tablets and other portable devices continue to grow in popularity, Intel and AMD would be foolish if they didn't enter the market and offer processors for this segment.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 10:05 PM

Cant wait till AMD gets there with Bobcat.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Jun 5 2011 10:11 AM

the battle and competition between AMD and Intel is a lifeblood .Thank the almighty and bring it on AMD !

cause when you guys bring it we can all benefit. Bobcat !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I still have my trusty netbook with me, it was a good investment at the time, cause I could not afford a full fledged laptop that I wanted. For a lot of people, just like me, Netbooks were lifesavers and a great choice to have until you could afford something better, they also made great gifts for the young-N's."

-Optimus

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS