Polycom Buys HP's Videoconference Segment For $89 Million

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 6:11 AM
Some fairly interesting news this week in the enterprise space, but it's news that could easily bleed over and make an impact on consumers in the near future. Polycom has announced that they will be acquiring HP's Visual Collaboration Business while also becoming an "exclusive partner" to HP for their teleprescence needs, not to mention certain video unified communications needs.

You may have been oblivious to the fact that HP even owned a videoconferencing unit, but either way, Polycom will reportedly pay $89 million for that segment of the company. That's a straight cash buy, with reports suggesting that the purchase was made in an effort to guard from Cisco's attack on market share. Polycom stands to lose a lot in this realm; Cisco obviously is a huge player by themselves, and with Microsoft buying Skype, it's safe to say they won't be looking externally for their videoconferencing needs.

This deal will enable HP and Polycom to expand their offerings, while allowing HP to focus on more core offerings. We couldn't be happier to see HP moving to more "core offerings," so if Polycom needs to lift off this segment, we're all for it.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I wonder if they will be making any of those cameras that automatically turn and focus on the person talking. My job was looking into purchasing one of those for a video conferencing needs. It makes sense for HP to spin off this type of business and simply license and make special deals with them when selling them off.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

@omegadraco - I'm not familiar with videoconferencing technology, but I like the idea of cameras automatically turning and focusing on the person talking. It would also be cool if the camera could zoom-in to the person talking, especially when that person is giving a long speech and then zoom-out after he finishes.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That thing looks like something that belongs in an adult toy store :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Sat, Jun 4 2011 11:13 PM

Hey Omegas :P lol, Don't we already have those type of cameras? it will just need to be integrated into the system :)

And animatortom, you naughty naughty :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Haha good one animator :)

@inspector yes I was referring to a camera design that already exists I was mearly curious if this new deal will be producing any of them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
TArnold replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:41 PM

@omegadraco - Yes, the HP technology enables that type of functionality (auto-focus on the person who's talking). I'm an HP employee and have experienced it myself... works great!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks TArnold I will be looking for these cameras soon :) We are running Microsoft Lync at work and are looking at having some meetings through video conferencing

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS