Promise Reveals Pegasus Thunderbolt Line Of Storage Devices

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,486
Points 1,196,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:25 AM
Speed. It's all about speed. And hasn't that always been the case? In the PC world, things never seem to run fast enough, and Promise Technology is hoping to make things hum along even faster when it comes to data transmission. They have just developed a Thunderbolt-equipped RAID storage device for the masses, adopting a technology that Apple's trying to spearhead by including it on their latest machines. The Pegasus series is what's being revealed this week. There's two models: the R6 (which has six SATA HDDs) and the R4 (which has four SATA HDDs).

Steven Lien, deputy manager, Corporate Marketing Department, Sales & Marketing Division of Promise Technology, had this to say about the new tech: "By employing Thunderbolt, with which the MacBook Pro and iMac are compatible, we wanted to provide high-speed, easy-to-use storage devices." The Pegasus has two Thunderbolt ports, and up to six units can be daisy-chained together. It's also possible to transmit DisplayPort video signals to a display connected through Thunderbolt.

No pricing or release information was given, as it was just revealed and showcased at Computex, but we'll hopefully see more on both soon.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Does anyone have any speed comparisons on thuderbolt to USB 3.0?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

@omegadraco I don't remember seeing speed comparisons charts for thunderbolt vs. USB 3.0. However, from what I have read, Thunderbolt boasts 10Gbps full-duplex data transfer speeds while only 5Gbps for USB 3.0... and if I'm remembering correctly, Thunderbolt can theoretically reach 100Gbps.  

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

USB 3.0 is 5gb/s and thunderbolt is 10gb/s but thunderbolt is bidirectional so you could have something uploading at 10gb/s and something downloading at 10gb/s with peripherals daisy-chained at the same time. Thunderbolt also only uses copper wire right now those speeds could go upwards of 100gb/s with optical cables in the future......that's just the word on the street though.

Promise makes some crazy high end storage options I'm sure this is no exception. I know there 48tb x30 is supposed to be great for final cut server.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

@Drake_McNasty - Very good point.  In Thunderbolt's current state, copper wiring is used instead of the proposed optical fiber cables, which could allow full-duplex speeds upwards of 100Gbps.  Like what Drake said, this is just the word on the streeet  :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks guys. I would hope the thunderbolt will become standard on machines.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

@omegadraco - My sentiments exactly. I think Apple and Intel are doing their best to promote Thunderbolt, a great partnership indeed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 3:53 PM

omegadraco:

Thanks guys. I would hope the thunderbolt will become standard on machines.

Well they did show off a PCI-E card didn't they; I'm hoping they release that so those folks who don't have Thunderbolt don't feel left out...

Also, I'm guessing that if they're mirroring the data to each hard drive then I expect the thing to be pretty fast; fast enough for Thunderbolt though.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

hopefully this catches on

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.