IBM Worth More Than Microsoft (again)

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Sat, May 21 2011 10:07 AM

http://www.gizmocrazed.com/2011/05/ibm-now-officially-worth-more-than-microsoft/

Ballmer's days are numbered.  As soon as Oracle or Google surpass them, he's out of there (if not sooner).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

As time keeps going , Microsoft (mainly Windows OS) is getting less relevant (to an extent) in this new era of tech. I no longer need a pc to surf the web, watch streaming movies, get on facebook or twitter, chat with video and ect... I can do all on a TV and or a Cell Phone.(or a PS3Hmm

Off course Miicrosoft is still an Imperial Giant, But I'm seeing less of their presence.  

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, May 23 2011 12:59 AM

Ballmer has really killed Microsoft with mostly bad decisions, I expect his come upance to come quickly.

I wonder how they're going to fit Skype into their overall plans?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, May 23 2011 7:21 AM

TaylorKarras:

First, they'll....

Embrace it:  There will be commercials touting the ability to Skype from the new Windows phones with all your (Non WinPhone using) friends.  This is the step where they love interoperability.  They will probably even release a new version for all platforms (that doesn't really upgrade anything but rebrands it and sets out a specific EOL for support in the EULA).

then they'll...

Extend it:  Skype on WinMo7/8 will begin to integrate features from the MS marketplace.  Skype on the PC will have a rewrite that ties it completely to DirectX - moving the backend into something they'll call DirectCommunications.  The new versions won't be released on non-Windows platforms because "it's too hard", "it relies on Microsoft only features", or "There's no real demand for it"...  though they'll still be compatible to a limited degree.

and finally...

Extinguish it:   Skype will be re-branded as MS Video/Voice or something similar and included as part of the Windows OS instead of being a separately available program.  Within a few service packs compatibility issues with the older non-Windows clients will appear...  They will have reached the EOL for support as mentioned in the EULA and will no longer work at all.

It's not paranoia when it's Microsoft internal policy.

Examples

Instant messaging: In 2001, CNet's News.com described an instance concerning Microsoft's instant messaging program.[24] "Embrace" AOL's IM protocol which everyone was using in the 90s and early 2000s. "Extend" the standard with proprietary Microsoft addons which added new features but broke compatibility with AOL's software. Gain dominance since Microsoft had 95% OS share and their MS Messenger was provided for free. And finally, "extinguish" and lockout AOL's IM software, since AOL was unable to use the modified MS-patented protocol.
Employee testimony: In 2007, Microsoft employee Ronald Alepin gave sworn expert testimony for the plaintiffs in Comes v. Microsoft in which he cited internal Microsoft emails to justify the claim that the company intentionally employed this practice.[29]

Even those of us outside of Microsoft had heard their internal EEE phrasing in the 90's, well before the anti-trust cases.  They never really kept it much of a secret because it's not clearly illegal - just not in the best interest of the consumer.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, May 25 2011 7:17 AM

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Fri, May 27 2011 12:35 PM

TaylorKarras:

Ballmer has really killed Microsoft with mostly bad decisions, I expect his come upance to come quickly.

I dont think he killed the company... in fact, under him we've seen some pretty good things, Win 7, mobile 7, the new office suite. And these are actually pretty decent pieces of software. 

I just think it was the timing that was really bad.... iOS was really picking up, Apple was just shooting the stars, Android just blew from nowhere, and I've been using a Win7 mobile phone for the past week, and I already like it more than Android. Sure i cant customize/overclock, have the "freedom" to do w/e i want as the thousands say it, BUT everything on this phone works, all the apps i need are present, The Win 7 mobile OS is fantastic!

As for skype, Yep, i agree with 3vi1... its just about buying the technology, not the revenue that is currently generated from it. Once you have hands on the 'patents' etc, then Voila, you're set, you can expand your product base even more. 

I also have to agree with Sammy here! Excellent point! I wrote a research report on the 'declining presence of the solo medium'... We dont need a home computer or a laptop to do most of the things...there are soo many technologies out there that enable us to do them all. My professor got rid of all his computers and him and his (they're both in their 70's) just use tablets at home. All he does is check his email and general research/surfing the web. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS