Seagate Pushes Areal Density Boundaries Even Further

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,075
Points 1,182,870
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 3 2011 5:06 PM
While SSDs are obviously the future, HDDs aren't anywhere near the end of their rope. Seagate has been pushing the boundaries of hard drives for some time now, with areal density barriers expanding by the month it seems. As these densities increase, the capacity for HDDs also increases. Just a few years ago, the mere thought of a 1TB HDD was astounding. Today, we're counting down the days until a 5TB version is revealed.

Seagate's latest is the world's first 3.5" HDD to feature 1TB of capacity per disk platter, delivering storage capacities of up to 3TB and an areal density of 625 Gigabits per square inch. Seagate is on track to ship its flagship 3.5-inch Barracuda desktop hard drive with 3TBs of storage on 3 disk platters – enough capacity to store up to 120 high-definition movies, 1,500 video games, thousands of photos or virtually countless hours of digital music – to the distribution channel in mid-2011. The drive will also be available in capacities of 2TB, 1.5TB and 1TB.

We're pretty sure that rival HDD makers will be hitting back with similar news in short order, but either way, we're glad to see Seagate taking charge here. Now, to figure out what to do with all of this space...

Seagate Breaks Areal Density Barrier: Unveils World’s First Hard Drive Featuring 1 Terabyte Per Platter

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Seagate (NASDAQ:STX), the leader in hard drives and storage solutions, today unveiled the world’s first 3.5-inch hard drive featuring 1TB of storage capacity per disk platter, breaking the 1TB areal density barrier to help meet explosive worldwide demand for digital content storage in both the home and the office.

Seagate’s GoFlex® Desk products are the first to feature the new hard drive, delivering storage capacities of up to 3TB and an areal density of 625 Gigabits per square inch, the industry’s highest. Seagate is on track to ship its flagship 3.5-inch Barracuda desktop hard drive with 3TBs of storage on 3 disk platters – enough capacity to store up to 120 high-definition movies, 1,500 video games, thousands of photos or virtually countless hours of digital music – to the distribution channel in mid-2011. The drive will also be available in capacities of 2TB, 1.5TB and 1TB.

“Organizations of all sizes and consumers worldwide are amassing digital content at light speed, generating immense demand for storage of digital content of every imaginable kind,” said Rocky Pimentel, Seagate Executive Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Marketing. “We remain keenly focused on delivering the storage capacity, speed and manageability our customers need to thrive in an increasingly digital world.”

GoFlex Desk external drives are compatible with both the Windows® operating system and Mac® computers. Each drive includes an NTFS driver for Mac, which allows the drive to store and access files from both Windows and Mac OS X computers without reformatting. The GoFlex Desk external drive’s sleek black 3.5-inch design sits either vertically or horizontally to accommodate any desktop environment. 
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator

I never seem to have any problem using whatever space I have on my Platter Hard Drives. It's just a matter of time.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Tue, May 3 2011 10:38 PM

3tb..... damn. Thats a lot. But pretty soon, we'll be seeing 10tb hard drives, someone want to make a bet? I say early 2013 or late 2012, 10tb hard drives

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, May 3 2011 10:56 PM

I agree realneil, while it is cool I guess to have a load of extra space for nothing file management seems to work just fine for me. Of course we have been using a home PC since HD's were minimal size wise to. I don't even think my first (self built computer) hard drive was over 100 Gigs. Of course I don't remember anymore but I think it was 80 if I recall correctly. Anyway; I of course have had a PC in my house since I was 9 or 10 (Commodore downstairs for us kids, Apple IIE (up stairs in moms office) and I am 40 now. They were mega smaller back then so I have always had to manage what I wanted to keep and how I wanted to keep it.

I really think a price war is about to reveal it's pretty face on the SSD side of the market. There are just to many decent to awesome ones out there now. The Plextor one may not be a top performer, but it is like 300 less than Intel, OCZ or Corsair with a SATA 3 on it. The performance is not like the others (and still many times better than a mech HD) but the price is half and I think it is 120Gb to for right at 300, where all the others are 500 or more. The PCI express ones by OCZ for the revo 2 ones are also slightly over 300 I think, and there throughput beats almost anything on any SATA interface/connector from what I hear and there bootable.

I think the HDD will be here, but I also cannot see them being a lucrative business in any other way than as a volume business in the near (next 2-3 years) future, which in the world of technology I know is forever, but a year or two in real time is nothing at least to me. So the HD market is gonna keep increasing size and dropping prices. As far as it goes for my storage drives I have 2 WD Black 750's, I could see a could of tera drives, but 2 3,4,5 terabyte drives no I can't see that. I think I paid about 150 for my two 750 gig drives together shipped or maybe a little less.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, May 4 2011 12:56 AM

wahoo? i'd rather have 2- 1.5TB in raid

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 4,880

rapid, your first drive had gigs?! Mine was 230MB. I still remember the first drive I got greater than 1GB.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS