A Look At The Motorola Xoom - Android 3.0 Arrives

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,035
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 2 2011 12:11 PM

A Look At The Motorola Xoom - Android 3.0 Arrives The Motorola Xoom tablet has been met with plenty of hype, and perhaps rightfully so since it is the first tablet to ship with Android 3.0 (aka Honeycomb), the first version of Android designed specifically for tablets. Although there are a number of tablets slated to hit the market this year, Motorola has the benefit of being the first company to actually ship a tablet running on Honeycomb. The Xoom also has some powerful specs that are sure to attract attention, including a dual-core processor, a 10.1-inch widescreen display, 32GB of onboard storage, and front- and rear-facing cameras... 

A Look At The Motorola Xoom - Android 3.0 Arrives

• | Post Points: 140
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290
LLeCompte replied on Mon, May 2 2011 12:49 PM

good review, now you guys need to get your hands on a asus transformer. Im wanting that one super bad.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Mon, May 2 2011 1:57 PM

Good that they included an microSD slot and letting us know about the unofficial enabler on xda. I read through the review and it sounds solid. I will continue to wait on tablets until prices come down significantly even though I would like a new tech toy.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, May 2 2011 1:59 PM

thats VERY odd, the micro sd disabled? But good review!. I was a little surprised that in the first couple of benchmarks, the xoom placed 3rd, but, meh, i dont think real like usage people will notice the difference. And solic battery life from the looks of it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, May 2 2011 2:07 PM

Transformer preview going up today!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Nice!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, May 2 2011 8:32 PM

The accelerometer didn't seem to responsive there was a big lag between switching from landscape to portrait but the minimal bloatware, multi-tab in the default browser and the e-reader features with the simulated page turn built in are some neat little features and the screen looks to be as smooth responsive to touch as the iPad and iPad 2 are legendary for, all in all this looks like a great device its the first tablet to ship with Android 3.0, so I cant wait to see how it holds up to its competitors like the Asus Transformer

I wonder why you can't charge through the microusb port?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:57 PM

Is it possible to charge tablets such as this through the microUSB port? If so, why aren't more companies doing it?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85

Thanks for the good laugh about “how the Xoom compares to other tablets” — “at or near the top in comparison to our reference systems.”

Yes, it does quite well compared to ancient and/or decrepit systems, including a 3GS tablet (WTF?!?) that perhaps you put into a time machine to get its scores from 2009. (My wife's 3GS, running the current iOS 4.3, turned in a 5500 mSec result, 150% faster than you show and ahead of your EVO tablet score, due to Apple's sterling after sale support for devices. How's Moto been for its recent devices?)

If you want to compare it to current systems… well, the Xoom's still good — “in the hunt” if not fastest. It's a bit better than twice as fast as the Playbook tests I ran in my nearby Staples (I had to run the old version since the current SunSpider test crashed it; YMMV).And it's faster than my iPhone4, too, although not by quite as much a margin. The iPad2 (have you heard of 'em? You should check em out!), however, bested it. And a decent i7 laptop — say, my MBP or maybe a decent Windows laptop running Chrome — will run 8 circles around that fastest of the tablets, turning in a 250 mSec time versus the 2000 or so of the iPad.

For most people's use, I don't imagine that SunSpider scores will make much difference: most browsers are slowed down more by other things than javascript, I'd suspect. And the lousy Playbook score is merely another indicator of how RIM rushed the Playbook software, while Android's browser has been pretty good ever since Froyo; give the Playbook a bit more time and its raw speed ought to come neck-and-neck.

Aside from general responsiveness, the Xoom oughta be at least OK, and its speed looks perfectly OK for anything except the miserable experience I saw with video editing, a task you might attempt (once) on the Xoom, but can do handily, it seems, on a competing device.

So I'd summarize the performance as: for most functions: decent; quite acceptable; limited in some more demanding uses that you might use a tablet for, and untested for high-rez, high-frame-rate gaming, where the iPad2 is said to be tops. Why people might care how it competes against 2-year-old phones is beyond me, though.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85

@HHGirl, MOST USB ports don't supply enough current to charge the Xoom as quickly as you'd like, and Moto has opted to require a separate charger cord instead of having you futz with “will it or won't it?” questions.

The iPad also needs a comparable level of power but Apple has put higher-power circuits on its recent gear so you have just one cable between the iPad and either its USB-ported charger, or your laptop. Works pretty nice for both data + power, simultaneously, even.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
Orville replied on Tue, May 3 2011 4:06 AM

Jennifer,

Thanks for this review. I think media based reviews are better, except where specs are concerned. Here is my question. Could I, using the Xoom to download and display an OpenOffice or PDF file for viewing from a NAS located on my LAN if I also purchased a 802.11n access point to provide a connection point.

Thanks again,

Orville

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, May 3 2011 9:11 AM

Walt, your feedback and comments are always welcome. Thanks for the input. However, I'm not sure why you're so stuck on the benchmark comparisons. Take the graphics side of things, Jen compared it to both the Galaxy Tab, ViewSonic gTablet and the brand new Eee Pad Transformer. We don't always have enough reference numbers but I think she did a pretty darn good with presenting how this tablet performs in the current landscape.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, May 3 2011 9:12 AM

I'm pretty certain the answer to that is, yes, Orville. Jen? You have the beast. Can you let us know?

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Hi- thanks for the review and it seems promising, but it does still seem a bit pricey. -Francisco

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 300
ForumsAdministrator

Orville - if I understand correctly, you're asking about accessing files stored on a remote PC or server. Yes - this is possible. You'll need to download a file explorer app that has this functionality; there are free apps that will do this in the Android Market. Depending on the type of file you're trying to view, you may also need an app that enables viewing for that file type.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
Orville replied on Tue, May 3 2011 4:53 PM

Jennifer,

Thanks for your kind answer to my horribly mangled question. Here is what I meant in an unmangled form:

Could I open an ODT and/or PDF file on the Xoom for viewing via an 802.11n access point which is connected to my LAN to which a NAS, the source of such files, is also connected. I hope that's better.

Anyway, I looks like you got the question correctly decoded and answered. Thank you for that. After I read your reply, I surfed to market.android.com and found what appeared to be several applications that would do just what I want. I have no experience with computers like the Xoom, or with any Android devices for that matter. I'm retired, not young and stupid. I don't plan to give AT&T, Verizon or Sprint one damn dime I don't absolutely have to, but the Xoom might be useful on my LAN. I guess I should be grateful to all of the YASs of this world that keep AT&T et al. roiling in the money their stockholders require. I just hope the Elmonzo Grandes leave me alone. Anyway, I have a single application in mind that would require no data input just output. I would think that would be right up the Xoom's alley.

Could I plug my USB PIN drive into the Xoom, after I find a big USB to tiny USB adapter, to see what ODT and PDF files look like on it? With my ancient eyes, I prefer a dot pitch over .27 mm/pixel, but the Xoom comes in around .17 mm/Pixel. I'd have to see if I could read text on it.

Orville

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 300
ForumsAdministrator

Orville- I'm not sure about plugging in a USB drive, but once the microSD card slot is enabled in a future update (date TBA), you could always load your files from there.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS