HP's AMD Fusion-infused Pavilion d1Mz, Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 28 2011 1:06 PM
What began as a trickle -- as AMD finally introduced a shipping version of the long-awaited Fusion platform -- has turned into a steady stream, and we're definitely excited to see APUs, as AMD calls the product, finally making an impact. AMD had played up the idea of an Accelerated Processing Unit for years, and now, it's clearly a reality. Lenovo's ThinkPad X120e, which we reviewed a few months ago, instantly became one of our favorite ultraportables, and now HP has what appears to be a rival machine, of sorts.

The HP Pavilion dm1z is an 11.6" machine, that is a touch larger than the myriad 10" netbooks already on the market, and honestly, we're struggling with what to classify this machine as. Is is a netbook? Is it an ultraportable? In reality, it's probably a hybrid of the two. You're getting the portability and longevity of a netbook, but the power and price of a nicer ultraportable.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 2:21 PM

One thing missing from this review is how impressive the speakers are - something most people use quite a bit with today's music and Youtube showings.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:53 PM

I like the styling of this notebook/netbook/whatever you want to call it. The performance numbers look good too!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Apr 29 2011 9:51 AM

niice specs for a sub 500 netbook and slightly bigger screen is way cool good little book for on the go type knockabout netbook with enough juice to get er done !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,089
Points 11,030
CDeeter replied on Sun, May 1 2011 1:09 PM

So........do you have to give it back, or maybe we could have a little mini contest?Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RMorgan replied on Wed, May 18 2011 2:58 AM

Got one a few weeks ago, came a month late. I guess they are popular. I was able to get it for 429.00 with two promo codes I scraped up. I really like it so far. Have only used it for light web browsing. I dislike the touchpad but I feel like it just doesn't jibe with my fingers for some reason. Have tried turning on and off gestures and tap to click, I tend to pinch when I try and click. I also miss no page up and page down buttons but really like the keyboard.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS