Walmart To Go Brings Online Grocery Shopping To San Jose

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,354
Points 1,191,500
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 26 2011 2:32 AM
Believe it or not, people have had their grocery orders made online for years now. It's not nearly as popular as you might think, mostly because these services are generally reserved for city-dwellers, but it definitely exists. Now, Walmart wants in on the action. The mega-retailer has just announced a trial run for online grocery delivery in California, with San Jose being the lucky duck. It's being called "Walmart To Go," and as the retailer has spread their wings into groceries more and more, the move makes a ton of sense.

Walmart has thrived with selling foods because it's a one-stop shop, and that's easier on consumers. But as more and more people buy repeat goods online, there's obviously an opportunity to take that one step further and toss groceries in there as well. The test will allow customers to visit Walmart.com and order groceries that you'd normally find in a store, including fresh produce, meat, seafood, frozen goods, baby supplies, household items, beauty products, etc. There aren't any other details on potential price premiums or delivery ranges, but we suspect a lot will be riding on this trial. Are people really too strapped to shop for groceries in-store? Is online grocery shopping the next big way to kill time during lunch?
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 10:56 AM

I personally would never let another person choose (or even touch) my produce, especially a walmart employee. They'd just give you whatever is on top...

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 11:06 AM

^ true, when it comes to produce, even i know that its best to pick your own stuff. But i can imagine, stuff like milk, canned items etc, shouldnt be a problem

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

A group of students started a company in my college town that did this. They made a lot of money off of drunk kids ordering cases of beer, frozen pizzas, and rubbers at all hours of the night! I think this will actually benefit a lot of walmart shoppers who can't get around the store very easily and the elderly who even have a hard time leaving home. I think it's a good move.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 11:29 AM

They need to have some type of guarantee about the quality of perishable foods. The grocery store in my area does this type of thing and I have never used it because of those exact reasons of picking my own produce and meat.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 1:00 PM

People just get lazier over time :D. I never knew this even existed...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 1:08 PM

Yup, it's been around for quite some time now. Where I'm at they have an online shopper that you can order just about anything/ You want a steak dinner from that fancy resturant, but don't want to go get it? Get your shopper to go get it for you. I've never used it, but my old roomate who was handicapped used it every now and then. It is a nice convience for some.

Now, as a Wal-Mart associate, I've heard rumors about this, and personally, I think that they are going to shoot themselves in the foot. There's no denying it, as anyone with a brain knows how Wal-Mart really makes their money. They get you in the door for one or two items, then snag you for a few more that you originally didn't want/need. With people being able to order just what they originally wanted, don't know if the increased food sales online will cover the difference.

And, yes, I for one would never let ANYONE(my ex-fiance included) choose my perishables(produce, millk, etc..)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Its like in the movie Wall-E where everyone on the spaceship get fat and lazy because every thing is done for them...lol 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

i live a 1/2 hour away from the nearest grocery store, and the gas prices now, i think it's win-win.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 11:59 PM

I'd want to pick out my own perishable goods (meat, produce, etc), but for canned goods and other stuff, I can see where this might be convenient, particularly if you're strapped for time or for the elderly who may not be able to easily go to the store.

Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 660
WKaye replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:10 PM

wow we are getting lazy...walmart thank you for getting me fat :(

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DWilbanks replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 10:54 PM

I'm a delivery driver for AmazonFresh.com and my customers are not fat or lazy. Mostly people who work a lot and don't want to spend what little free time they have at the store.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS