Sony Scrambling to Get PlayStation Network Back Online

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,880
Points 1,116,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 25 2011 12:24 PM
Sony over the weekend ensured gamers that it's working frantically to rebuild its PlayStation Network and bring everything back online. PSN was taken offline last week when an "external intrustion" to Sony's system wreaked havoc with both PSN and Qriocity services.

"We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online," Sony said in a blog post. "Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security."

Sony continued by asking gamers for a little more patience as it works towards completing this project, and promised to report updates as they become available. As of today, Sony doesn't have anything new to report.

"I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online," Sony said today. "Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time. As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience."

It's been a rough month for online services. Sony's outage comes at around the same time as Amazon.com's cloud outage at its Northern Virginia data center, which affected several popular sites.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I really don't mind that the ps network is down and am glad that they are taking the time to fix it correctly but I do mind the multiple pop-ups asking me to sign in followed by the error message about signing in. Hopefully they will have something to report in a few days.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Is it down because they are fixing it or is it just under a serious attack. I would sort of bet that it is under attack and that they are trying to fend it off by taking the network down.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 410

I miss my MW2 but it would be nice if they improved stability along with security

Rig:

under construction

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 1:28 PM

omegadraco:
Is it down because they are fixing it or is it just under a serious attack. I would sort of bet that it is under attack and that they are trying to fend it off by taking the network down.

I'm guessing that it's down because they're fixing it. I mean anonymous's attacks only stopped once they realized that they were attacking the wrong side, and it should of been all smooth sailing from there.

I guess they want extra protection in case someone decides to copies anonymous's actions except for fun.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 1:51 PM

They were down? How come i didn't hear people screaming out their windows... lol surprised none of my friends posted this of facebook, more then half of them has a ps3...

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 4:57 PM

It was actually only down for short time pretty much they did basic reboot and reloads of the system. They were targeted but since day one they havent been bothered much. But I think they are still vulnerable from same type of attack.

And alot of personal company and user data got swiped from my understanding so they are taking it down to make sure no more data gets taken. Plus it whats necessary to shut down for a update of the magnitude needed to fix security to what it needs to be

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I wonder what specific data got swiped from their servers. Glad to hear that it is just them trying to fix it and it not being attacked again even though I do not like the way Sony treats their customers in most cases.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:24 PM

DHampton:
And alot of personal company and user data got swiped from my understanding so they are taking it down to make sure no more data gets taken. Plus it whats necessary to shut down for a update of the magnitude needed to fix security to what it needs to be

It was a simple DDoS attack, I doubt that any personal information was taken during those attacks.

I'm guessing the only thing that'll change after the upgrade is that it'll be slightly harder to take down using a DDoS.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 11:48 PM

lol it seems Sony is getting what it gave though. I know professorially how much money goes down the drain when a big online service is down and my last time seeing it was 2 or 3 years back.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 12:50 AM

Hmm, i was reading another article that said that sony doesnt know what data has been extracted/ what credit card info has been compromised... scary stuff!... i have a ps3 at home, but i still dont feel comfortable giving out my credit card information to a console hahah. I wish paypal could be used with consoles... i'd prefer that. Though of course, not saying one is better than the other. The less information out there, the better off we are

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 3:22 AM

coolice:

Hmm, i was reading another article that said that sony doesnt know what data has been extracted/ what credit card info has been compromised... scary stuff!... i have a ps3 at home, but i still dont feel comfortable giving out my credit card information to a console hahah. I wish paypal could be used with consoles... i'd prefer that. Though of course, not saying one is better than the other. The less information out there, the better off we are

So it's not just a DDoS, someone actually stole the data...

That changes things significantly, I don't know who would do that but possible theft of info, that's low!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I agree I won't give my credit card info out to the console either. I would much rather buy the credits/points cards from a retailer.

@Taylor it certainly does change things and it is a low blow. Hopefully they do not use people information and they were just trying to force Sony to spend money and look bad for losing information.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS