Razer Ships Hydra Motion Controllers Alongside Portal 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,850
Points 1,114,955
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:35 AM
Razer's more typical controllers are easy to describe: mice, keyboards and joysticks usually comprise the company's line. But the Hydra is something entirely different. It's a new set of motion sensing controllers, and while they were announced first a few months back, they're just now being put on sale. Naturally, the timing here is perfectly place; they'll be available as a standalone product or alongside Portal 2, which is storming the digital shelves right now.

Razer worked closely with Valve and Sixense to build these, particularly the exclusive Portal 2 content that showcases the power of motion controls. The full version of the game plus the exclusive Portal 2 content will be available in a special edition bundle with the Razer Hydra. It's a somewhat familiar concept by this point; the Wii and Kinect have people "understanding" the concept of using motion controls, but these utilize one-to-one tracking for enhanced precision.

Outside of Portal 2, the Hydra is compatible with over 125 games (and growing), and they are being called a first of their kind in the PC gaming realm. The Hydra + Portal 2 bundle will sell for $139.99, with pre-orders starting in May (and shipments in June).
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:33 AM

Finally! I was hoping to see this show up on the market soon. I remember reading about it a while back and wondered if it was going to make it public. +to my wish list!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610
omegadraco replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 10:48 AM

Sweet, I agree it is about time that the PC gets this type of tech it is a much more powerful platform than any console. Plus with all the crazy hardware/software modders out in the world they will probably find some ways to use these for even more.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

This is awesome! So now you really can just have an htpc instead of a console system. On a side note, was Razer the company who a while back was going into a secret lab to produce new products? Or was that a different company or am I just crazy?

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:21 PM

Yep, this is a real interesting device, they made a video on it and it seems so cool. I would love to buy it when it is released.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:43 PM

I will be checking this one out to see the exacts. I really want to see the video so I can understand how these specific cntrollers are used. The coverage of titles is pretty wide especially for a new to market device.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 4:15 PM

this would be a total blast ! The first thing I thought of after watching the vid was i gotta make some more room so I could easily move around  >>rearrange the coffee table,shove a bunch of stuff out of the way, & check the cushions for lost change and hopefully find some cash.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 6:09 PM

omegadraco:
Sweet, I agree it is about time that the PC gets this type of tech it is a much more powerful platform than any console. Plus with all the crazy hardware/software modders out in the world they will probably find some ways to use these for even more.

Well they managed to get a Nintendo Wii controller working with a PC, there's no doubt in my mind they couldn't do the same for PC specific hardware.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS