Wii Price Cut Sparks Second Generation Wii Console Rumors

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,830
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 18 2011 12:52 PM
The rumor mill is buzzing with chatter about Nintendo's Wii console and whether a second generation device is on the horizon. It all started last month when Nintendo America President, Reggie Fils-Aime, made it pretty clear that the successor to the Wii would not adopt 3D, leading some to wonder if Nintendo was working on a new console.

Things heated up recently when word broke that Nintendo was prepping a $50 price cut for the Wii next month, bringing the cost of ownership down from $199 to $149. Maybe Nintendo was mulling a price cut in order to regain an advantage over the HDD-less 4GB Xbox 360, which also sells for $199, or perhaps this meant that vendors were looking to clear inventory for a Wii 2 console this summer, as had been rumored.

Yanko Desgn's conception of a Wii 2 console with mind control.

This was all speculation, that is until Toys R Us and Best Buy slashed the price of the Wii by $30. That's not quite the $50 price cut rumored to take place next month, but it does bring the console down to $170, making it once again the most affordable of all the current generation consoles. But more importantly, this could be a sign that a new console is in the works and might just launch this summer as some have speculated.

Nintendo hasn't gone on record saying that a Wii 2 release is imminent, but if it does come out, we hope to see some much needed upgrades like Full HD support, HDD-based storage, and online support that goes above and beyond what's offered with the original Wii.
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I read something about confirmation of a dual analog control with a touch screen on it that could stream full games onto it from the console.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I think IGN is where I read that.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I hope they stick with the wii name, even though that's not the nintendo fashion. We will just have to wait until June.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:24 PM

Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64.... they've kept the same naming scheme in the past... they could do it again... it wasn't until the Gamecube came along that they got off track.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Good call, haha. I should have said it's not really their recent trend. 64 - game cube - wii.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:35 PM

Personally I think they'll just announce an upgraded Wii, the Wii HD with 1080p, HDMI etc which would justify the price cut for the regular Wii. They're still selling lots of units and consoles are all about milking old technology.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Super Wii complete with your connection to SkyNet

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:25 PM

HAHA, i would so buy it to try if they made the mind control thing :P. I bought the wii, played it for a week and sold it :(

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:56 PM

Well I still have my original WII and it mostly gets played during parties with friends. If they offered an upgrade option I might be all over it for HD support if that extended to games that came out already. Also, I could just get the new one and give my current to my Grandmother on my Dad's side since she gets a kick out of the bowling. Now that I think about it though this is still speculation so I may be planning for naught.

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 555
pjnissim replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 8:22 PM

It's really hard to imagine Nintendo introducing a revolutionary new console. PFeenstra I think has the right idea and I don't think I'll be extraordinarily impressed. But who knows, Nintendo could have something cooking.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:33 PM

Well they ahd a very good run on the Wii so why not just keep it rolling.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:53 PM

Idk there's alot of rumors about some pretty awesome things Nintendo could come out with their next console, particularly the screen (High resolution, maybe capacitive?) embedded into the next controller, or having the 3DS integrate, but then again their just concepts and theories and could turn out to be vaporware.

I think Nintendo knows the Wii is lacking when compared to the capabilities of the Xbox 360 and PS3, especially with them biting into the Wii's niche market of being the "Virtual Reality, Life Like, Motion" conosole with the release of Microsofts Kinect and Sony's move, so if Nintendo is going to release a console it wouldn't make sense for them to put something out that's going to lag behind in the long run once more or compared to competitors current consoles so the next thing is undoubtedly going to be innovative and break some barriers

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
Atticus14 replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 1:48 AM

I wonder how powerful it will be in the end, it should be easy to trump PS3 and xbox even at competitive price points with today's tech but I kinda miss the old Nintendo that pushed boundaries, but the Wii was so successful and even the hardware itself was profitable from day one...which probably means they'll do just enough to get by with again.

The real question is will they convince mainstream America to buy into their gimmick once again. I'll go ahead and say probably so (gotta keep up with the Joneses) even though most Wii's started collecting dust about a month after purchase.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 9:03 AM

It not that hard to be successful selling the similar product twice to 'mainstream' in reasonably short amount of time

the real $$$ is likely to be found with the possibility of a  "Golden Third Time's the Charm! "  [Apple anyone?]

I can't possibly be the only one that thinks  the brainwashing continues

just speculating here

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS