New Zealand Outlaws Illegal File Sharing Online

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,411
Points 1,192,970
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 15 2011 9:00 PM
Is peer-to-peer file sharing wrong? Is it illegal? Is it a crime to engage in it? If you're just casually reading that, you may say: "Of course!" But read it once again. We didn't specifically say which kind of file sharing; just file sharing in general. Different story! Thankfully, we're still not living in a world where P2P is outright forbidden from top to bottom, but one nation is taking a serious stand against the illegal kind. New Zealand just passed a law against online piracy, which "outlaws file-sharing and threatens repeat offenders with having their Internet access cut off."

The new law allows for penalties of up to NZ$15,000 to be paid back to the copyright owner, and if this isn't good enough, the criminals can have their Internet access yanked for up to half a year. Commerce Minister Simon Power said the following: "Online copyright infringement has been damaging for the creative industry, which has experienced significant declines in revenue as file sharing has become more prevalent. This legislation will discourage illegal file sharing and provide more effective measures to help our creative industries enforce their copyright."

It's a pretty bold law, and it could trigger a series of similar laws in various nations around the world eager to put a stop to these kinds of activities. The new law will go into play on September 1st, but it won't apply to mobile networks for whatever reason until October of 2013. You've been warned!
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SJim replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 7:54 AM

I have no respect for the Politian’s involved. All those in favour need to put up their hands so we can get a good look at you.

From any moral position the condition; "Suspected" of needs to change to “Proven” of otherwise it is bullying.

Any allegation needs to be made in the public domain so we can see who is accusing who for what and any false allegations leading to notices that prove false needs to provide suitable compensation. Otherwise this is simply a Trojan horse to sneak legislation that undermines freedom of speech and is an invasion of privacy.

If government does not do the right thing then I agree in organised citizens taking their own action against such bullies. Invasion of citizen privacy goes both ways. We all know friends in the right places to leak private details on EVERYONE.

You've been warned.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 1:21 PM

I still don't get how they track what your are downloading. But if it is that easy for them then i would just stop in fear of losing my internet for half a year and a fine... lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 2:28 PM

one way they can track you is by simply riding along on the illegal DL and sharing the illegal DL with you! in the US they already are in a position to demand from your IP your address and warn you of illegal activity .think we had some posting of that previously around here and not to sure off the top where it is in HH forums

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 11:01 PM

>> "outlaws file-sharing and threatens repeat offenders with having their Internet access cut off."

I would hope it's a little more specific than that. By that wording, running your own webserver or FTP gets you kicked off the net. So... basically, every website.

But, who knows.  Want to see how stupid these specific politicians are? http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110413/18085213885/new-zealand-politican-tweets-how-shes-violating-copyright-law-night-before-supporting-three-strikes-copyright-law.shtml

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

So I cant send pictures in an email any more? 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

its does say Illegal file sharing in the article so yes you can share pictures and yes you can run a webserver or FTP server but what it seems like it allows them to do is look at everything without cause.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 9:02 PM

get ready for a new protocol! how long till they have a work around?

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS