Asus PA246Q ProArt 24-Inch LCD Monitor Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,862
Points 1,115,640
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:25 AM

Asus PA246Q ProArt 24-Inch LCD Monitor ReviewWhen we heard Asus was coming out with a P-IPS display, we were a bit taken aback at the thought of Asus getting into the high end monitor game. But as the old cliche goes, there's a first time for everything, and the PA246Q ProArt 24-inch LCD monitor is Asus' first foray into the professional display market.

Every other monitor Asus has come out with has been of the TN variety, some of them very good, but there's a clear divide between what you get with an IPS panel and a TN display. The former boasts better viewing angles, much improved color accuracy, and in recent times have even proved up to the task of gaming...

Asus PA246Q ProArt 24-Inch LCD Monitor Review

• | Post Points: 200
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610
omegadraco replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:45 AM

Pretty... Graphics artists will probably drool over these babies. ASUS tends to be a company who can produce a quality product when they put their mind to it so I am sure these will not be an exception.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 12:07 PM

I agree omega, while I don't have the experience with a monitor made with the specifications level this one has it looks very nice. The only thing which I find lacking is the refresh at 7ms. Like I said this may not matter on a professional monitor. I have installed them in many areas for professional clients. I just plugged them in and verified there operations not having to calibrate them etc, just to make sure there operational.

Why if anyone knows is the 7Ms good or is it a little lacking. I am not really even asking because of gaming. Although I might do some of that on my monitor if I had one like this, I am more concerned with video where I generally will not accept anything over 5 Ms refresh. That would also be a better more responsive measurement to me if I did decide to game on it as a default. Anything over 5 Ms in screen responsiveness can lead to dithering or lost frames in an active video picture from what I understood.

Either way it looks very nice with a large amount of capabilities. I love the adjustments, the color depth, landscape flip etc etc.!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

7ms isn't actually lacking for a monitor like this. The dell ultrashparp's are 6, the two hp's I looked at were 5 and 7, and I'm not sure but I think the apple cinema is 12, that seems a bit high but that is what their site says. I use the apple 23" cinema displays and I've never run into lost frames when editing video. I think it is awesome that asus is getting into the professional monitor realm, good quality and low prices equals happy customers. I really want to see a lower version of this for home use though, 1920x1200 and high rgb % is hard to come by at a lower price point.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 2:24 PM

That racing stripe would PERFECTLY match my Case :-P

I think I just found a new monitor :-D

(and no, not just cuz of the racing stripe lol)

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

I'm in love with this monitor.....I might consider a "Buy" Soon.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:16 PM

Looks like a very nice monitor! Glad to see Asus is getting into this space!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:22 PM

lol, i think this is the first monitor i seen with a ruler along the sides. Of course i haven't seen all monitors out there xD. nice features it has though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 12:00 AM

Yeah I agree this will make the prices a bit more bearable in this space I would imagine.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:56 AM

I have to agree with you guys. Asus has always been my favorite companys. Their quality vs. price is great and their customer service(in the rare case that you actually need it) is top notch. Might have to keep an eye on this one.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 4:01 AM

meh :P ive seen better monitors... like the one u win for the giveaway thats going on now :D

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 255
Aggiton replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 5:49 PM

what are you talking about?

this is for people who use Photoshop and other software that requires extreme color accuracy.

gaming monitors are not IPS monitors - not that I know of

different task, different tool

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:10 PM

Aggiton:
this is for people who use Photoshop and other software that requires extreme color accuracy.

IPS monitors are not just for that, you can also play Movies on them and be blowed away by the color accuracy, or you could play a game and be awed at the amazing as hell colors. Trust me, Movies, Pictures and Games can benefit from an IPS screen, it can benefit even more from a C-PVA screen due to the deeper black levels but at the cost of decent refresh rates (unless you're one of the few rocking an Eizo).

Hell, a CRT can have amazing color accuracy and you can still play games on this like it was nothing. Just because it's a different tool does not mean it's tasks are different.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 255
Aggiton replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:58 PM

very good point indeed
-1 for me
I tend to think of very fast refresh rates as a priority when it comes to gaming monitors (FPS for example and even 3D as of late)
as for CRTs, I am still holding on to my Mitsubishi 20" CRT for resolution and refresh rate (although at SRGB color space)
I wish I own an Eizo, used to have access to one connected to an Apple G5 (?) for you know...

I still remember just a few years ago when people mentioned how LCDs could not surpass CRTs in resolution and color
The advantages were smaller size (thinner) and lower power consumption and that it wasn't possible to have the best of both...
But once we get razor thin monitors with both expansive color space and super fast refresh (and no more dead pixels), I can safety say LCDs (w/LED lighting) has surpassed CRTs.
(only problem is viewing LCDs at different angles affect the color and brightness/contrast, at least in my opinion)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 10:29 PM

definitely agree with the comment about the quality and be able to have color profiles with a CRT I  I have experienced great longevity with my Viewsonic CRT .Looks good play game great although no at high a resolution I would like but still a keeper.About the only things I had needed to do from time to time was clean it and on occasion open it up and tweak the brightness and contrast 'pots' just s hair.Some folks just pitch them when the CRT screens seem to fade over time.Without knowing that a few minutes spent 'tweaking' will give the monitor a much longer lifespan.

I definitely will be looking very carefully this year to upgrading this monitor, not really sure that i would need a pro featured monitor such as this, but looking to upgrade with at least a high quality 24"++ that's has enough flexibility  that I will not experience 'eye-fatigue'.as I have with some.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 2:03 AM

Aggiton:
But once we get razor thin monitors with both expansive color space and super fast refresh (and no more dead pixels), I can safety say LCDs (w/LED lighting) has surpassed CRTs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode

This technology surpasses LCD's and CRT's but is currently jack expensive.

Still, those bullet points look tempting. I'll be waiting for a day when we can replace our TV's and Computer Monitors with glorious high-res OLED.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 255
Aggiton replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:41 PM

ah, OLEDs
great potential with some companies currently showing off translucent displays
we still need more time for this technology to mature

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I have this monitor now and it is amazing, completely worth the money.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
ppludoc replied on Thu, Jul 28 2011 4:57 PM

Amen to that

Regards

pplu

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JKrueck replied on Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:28 PM

I was liking what I was reading till I saw the $500 price tag. :-/ Sounded like something to get my wife but just can't afford that price. :(

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS