WatchESPN App Brings Sports Content To iPhone And iPad

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,074
Points 1,182,865
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 10 2011 8:37 PM
While AMC Theaters puts up a fuss about major motion pictures coming to VoD systems too soon after their theatrical release, ESPN is getting with the program. It's obvious that consumers want more mobile ways to consume content, so rather than urging people to torrent shows by giving them no other option, ESPN has just launched a killer new app that brings the cable channel's shows to the mobile realm. There are a number of "catches," though. WatchESPN is only available on iOS, so those who have the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are invited, but everyone else is left outside. There's no Android version, no BlackBerry version, no WebOS version and no Windows Phone 7 version. Maybe those will come in time, but we wouldn't count on it.

Also, there are a number of programs that will be subject to blackout, and Monday Night Football is one event that will not be shown on this app. Bummer. But still, it's a solid app to have if you're already paying for the channel via Time Warner Cable, Brighthouse Networks or Verizon FiOS, but if you don't have access to any of those carriers, you're also out of luck. We wish the app was al la carte, but that'll probably never, ever happen. It's still a great start, and a great app, but we wish it meant we were one step closer from being able to truly separate from pay-TV. As it stands, you can't just be an Internet subscriber, you'll need a pay-TV subscription.

The app itself is free and available to download right away.
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 555
pjnissim replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:37 AM

Catching up with my teams is probably the only reason I wouldve paid for cable. Comcast, eat your heart out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:13 AM

I'm glad ray wasn't afraid to mention the reality of torrenting.

I agree though- if I could just pay for an app, I'd be just fine without cable. Especially with netflix.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:40 AM

If I could get my channels Ala Cart I would probably have all of 20 stations rather then the close to 300 I have. What pisses me off is its really only a 150 channels and 150 of the same channels in HD yet they are allowed advertise it as 300 channels and charge you extra to actually get those HD stations in HD because you have an HD capable box.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 6:21 PM

I totally agree omega. I have Comcast again (switched back from Uverse). Uverse is cool and performs ok. Comcast internet has them beat though, they went up in there price after 3 months (luckily I was not on a contract), and there internet slowed down when the neighbors also got Uverse as well. Either way I have gotten to where I watch a lot of TV on the net. So this would be cool especially when and if Football comes back. I heard about the ordered mediation today so I think it will be.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:30 PM

"There's no Android version, no BlackBerry version, no WebOS version and no Windows Phone 7 version." - That's too bad, but I guess they have to start somewhere.

I like the idea of greater portability with these apps/channels. I wonder if they'll ever consider selling this without a pay-TV subscription.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:00 PM

im gonna download this right now! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 370
Specjre replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:49 AM

Cancelling my cable was one of the best decisions I ever made I don't really watch sports though. I like hockey but when I feel like seeing some hockey I usually just goto a game which isn't very often.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS