Google Reportedly Planning "Major Overhaul" To YouTube, Added Content Focus

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 9 2011 5:53 PM
Is YouTube on the verge of becoming the next Hulu? Probably not immediately, but a new Wall Street Journal report is shedding a bit of light onto a future that may include a certain amount of original content, obviously financed by Google. Recently, YouTube initialized a YouTube Live streaming feature, and it sounds like that's just the start of a "major overhaul" that will soon be coming to the site.

The word is that YouTube is hoping to compete with broadcast and cable TV, and for that the happen, they need users to stay on YouTube longer. That's more attractive to advertisers, but with a focus on short, funny clips, it's hard to keep people focused on the site for any length of time.

As a part of the overhaul, YouTube will become home to a set of "channels" that will feature "several hours of professionally produced original programming a week." That kind of content could make YouTube a place to come for enjoyment in the evening, compared to a hit-and-miss site to view things like Rebecca Black's "Friday."

According to people briefed on the matter, Google could be preparing to spend as much as $100m in order to complete the overhaul, so they obviously have a good idea of just how profitable it would be. If not, well, that's a lot of cash to throw at something without reason to believe that a profit would be waiting. Assuming Google pulls this together, would YouTube become a more frequently visited place for you? Or does Hulu still have your heart?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 11:42 PM

Hmmm I watch both actually about equally, but if I win the contest PC and can get that 3d head camera company to sponsor me to I will own YouTube 3D entirely, and Taylor's channel as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 12:13 PM

Sounds interesting but not something I would necessarily pay for. If they want to have ads that's fine with me. I really just prefer to stream through Netflix without the commercials.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 555
pjnissim replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 3:41 PM

I think YouTube/Google could put a huge dent in the Hulu market, but it will take careful planning and a lot of cooperation from networks. I think for a while, Hulu will be the reigning champion- but I wouldn't bet on them keeping that title forever.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Hulu already has an established customer base for streaming TV so at least for a while they will continue to hold the majority of people. Now if only they would get CBS then I could drop my cable TV all together.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:56 PM

For me, it would depend on cost. I don't pay for Hulu now (though I have considered it). If Google's option were free in exchange for watching an ad or two, I'd watch it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS